Planning/location:
After quite a bit of discussion & researching options, and hitting the balance of seeing some of the things my mom wants to experience, but doing it in a way that works for her & our group, we landed on a very small cruise in May, that allows us to go to some of the (less) touristy destinations.
We will be flying into Athens, spending a day there before we get on the cruise, mostly to ensure there are no travel delays. Then we will visit three Greek islands, including Paros - which was a huge favorite when I was there this summer, & two islands new to me. We will then go to Croatia & I'm very excited to go to Krka National Park, which looks amazing.
The cruise finishes in Venice, and we will spend 1.5 days there before flying home, and will do a few Venice tourist activities.
Cost/optimization:
- I booked the cruise through Chase travel, which means I'll get 8x points for the purchase, and also a $250 excursion booking credit per person. I'll share more details on the cruise as we get further along.
- Because the cruise was quite a significant expense (traveling with three is hard, and requires a second room), I really wanted to keep the flights in check. I also had some complicated travel booking (multi city with Athens & Venice) & then on the way home, my mom & sister will be routing through Portland & I'll be returning to San Francisco. The logistics nearly did me in! But, I found some options to use miles for one of the routes, and then found some less expensive economy flights for the return. There were seat booking fees on Lufthansa that added to the overall cost, but I managed to get all of the flights needed (minus the flight from my sister & mom one way from Portland to SFO the night before) for just under $2400, which felt like quite a feat.
- For the hotel in Athens, I booked a Hyatt hotel on points for two nights, for two rooms, and used a Suite Upgrade Award, which will hopefully secure a nicer room. Total cost on that was $0.
- I'm hoping to use Chase Travel points for the hotel in Venice, as Hyatt has limited options there.
In terms of what else I still need to pay for, and how I'm thinking of the budget, I have planned:
- Transit from Athens hotel to the port
- Transit from Venice port to hotel
- Food & activities in Athens & Venice
- Excursions on the cruise. Drinks & tips are included in the cruise, and there is no additional food up charging.
- Travel insurance
- A one way flight for my sister & mom from Portland to San Francisco, hoping to use miles for this.
I'm new to cruising, so interested to see what this is like! If you have any tips or suggestions, please share!
That kind of travel is so hard. Especially if you are trying to save money.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard. It's also one of those weird moments in life where I've just moved to part time & I'm quitting my job, so money feels more precious, even though objectively I've saved for things just like this. Moving from savings to spending down my savings mode is going to be a challenge for me! - HP
DeleteYou are one amazing flight and hotel jockey! I am aways in awe.
ReplyDeleteIt always starts off a bit overwhelming, but I surprise myself sometimes! - HP
DeleteI applaud your energy.!I'm taking my 80+ year old mother and sister-in-law on their first ever trip out of the country, and can only muster up the energy to do a cruise from a port that we can drive to. I kept thinking of all the details that would need to be taken care of, the logistics, and the contingencies in the event something went wrong, and I just couldn't take on the stress. So, a sincere 'kudos' to you for your efforts.
ReplyDeleteI will say, now that I've brought the trip details to something I can manage, I and my spouse are much looking forward to it!
Regarding your cruise Q. - we took our daughter and her family on the very same cruise itinerary two years ago. It was a wonderful cruise!
I'm loving this for you & your mom & sister in law! Good for you. While I don't know that cruising will be my preferred transit with DH for a while, with my mom, it really does seem ideal for a first trip to Europe. And, so glad to hear that you loved the cruise! Which cruise company did you use? We are going with Explora. - HP
DeleteWell, not Explora, that is for sure, in that we had two rambunctious kids in the mix, Lol. For the granddaughters' sake we booked with Royal Caribbean due to their many onboard activities (rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, kids club, water slide, and more).
DeleteOn our own, or with other adults, we enjoy Oceania, Celebrity, and Holland America.
Ha, Tamara, yes, a trip with rambunctious kids would never be a good fit for this one. My mom worked in an elementary school for 30+ years, but asked for a no kids cruise. Explora technically allows kids, but as you note, it's definitely not designed for them, so I don't think there will be many on board. Your cruise activities sound perfect for keeping your granddaughters entertained! - HP
DeleteCruises are one of the most relaxing trips. Even though our Danube cruise was not quite what we expected, the cruise was wonderful and the company did everything they could to make up for having to take a bus in certain areas due to low water levels. That is something you will not need to worry about.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I really have heard such good things about how all of the logistics are basically sorted out for you, once you get on the boat. That's pretty appealing! So glad you had a great & relaxing trip. - HP
DeleteI LOVE that you are doing this with and for your mom. I lost my mom rather unexpectedly in November. She joined me and my adult children on a family trip to Costa Rica in August, just a few months prior to her passing. I will FOREVER treasure that trip. I am just so sad that I got annoyed with her slowness, her inability to do any actual walking, and the way it impacted ME.
ReplyDeleteComments like these really help me cement my decision (we are booked, but it reminds me that we need to stay calm & patient, because I can see my sister & I getting mildly frustrated with my mom, as a new international traveler.). We would keep it inside of course, but it would diminish our own experience, and we don't know what the future holds, but really want to enjoy this time together. And, I am so very happy you had these special memories with your own mom & your adult children. How wonderful you had that experience. - HP
DeletePrecisely because of the sincere sentiments expressed by you both in this post reply, we have elected to plan trips with aging family that we ourselves have already done, so that we won't be frustrated at having to modify the trips to accommodate them. I know myself, and I would definitely struggle with my patience if we were in new territory, so to speak.
DeleteI actually gave that exact thought a lot of consideration, Tamara, and I have been to one of the islands, but my sister has only been to two international destinations (when I've taken her) & I really didn't want to waste one of her international trips on something she's done before. Let's hope we can both strap on extra patience! :-) - HP
DeleteTransport from your Athens hotel to the port will be straight forward .
ReplyDeleteThere are plenty of public transport options that are cheap , buoy given luggage and ( I assume ) your Mothers age , ask the hotel to order you a cab .Should be no more than €75
I am an Athens resident part of the year -
as your time is limited I would suggest you visit the Acropolis
museum ( world class and stunning )
before visiting the Acropolis itself . Cost of both will run to
about €150
for three but a must see