Friday, November 24, 2017

Frugal Friday

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving! I hope everyone had a lovely day. We started off our day with a Turkey Trot. My 11 year old managed a 21 minute finish. So inspiring! Nick finished in just under 25 minutes, which is also incredible. I was a bit slower. ;-)

After that, we came home, & prepped all of the food. It was my first time making a turkey (breast) & it was delicious. My only fail was the stuffing. The mix was just too stale (should have tossed it!) & ended up wasting the entire batch. I love stuffing, so I was super sad that it didn't turn out.

We dressed up, had martinis (sparkling cider for the kids), made appetizers, and had a lot of laughs. It was very relaxing & fun. Such a lovely time with the family.

As for frugal moves:


  • Used a gift card to buy two bras at Target. I only have one of each color, and when I travel & wear them for long days, I need other options. Found my preferred brand/cut in a 2 pack - for $10! Used the gift card to get them for zero out of pocket.
  • Made my own cranberry sauce, and will use the leftover cranberries to make M's favorite muffins. The cranberry sauce was amazing!
  • Made my own hummus, using lingering stuff around the house. 
  • Found a few Black Friday deals on gifts I was already planning to buy. I'm now officially done with my holiday shopping! 
  • Used eBates to earn a small amount back on each of my Black Friday purchases.
  • Saved the turkey carcass & will make a broth this afternoon
  • Will take the boys to a free "play the coaches" session with their soccer club this morning.
  • Planning to pick up a few Rite Aid gift cards for things we use anyway. (Uber, which I use for work trips to the airport, & Home Depot). 

What about you? How was your Thanksgiving? Any big frugal wins this week?

6 comments:

  1. Wasn't the weather great!! Gotta love California!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous! And, today as well. Such a lovely day to be outside.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great day! I always use fresh bread for my stuffing, it turns out so much nicer even if you don't put it in the turkey. Sorry yours didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely use fresh bread next time - no more risking it. I may have to make an "off cycle" stuffing, as we only make it for Thanksgiving, and I don't think I can wait that long to try again. :-)

      Delete
  3. Toob bad about the stuffing-I love it too! It sounds like a lovely way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a nice, relaxing day. So happy to be surrounded by my favorite people.

      Delete