Monday, October 15, 2018

I ran a half marathon, & other events

I'm back from a fabulous weekend with my sister & best friend. We spent a couple of nights at the Oregon coast (so much laughing) & then headed to Vancouver on Saturday for our 1/2 marathon. We ran yesterday, and it was such a great experience.

The weather for the race was absolutely perfect, and the course was gorgeous. Highly recommend, as it ran along the Vancouver (WA, not Canada) waterfront. I also ran the entire race with my sister/friend, and we really helped to motivate each other. I knew I would fade in the last three miles, but the first ten actually felt pretty good. All of my training has been on hills, so the flat course was fabulous. We were about at the pace we expected, and actually had a porta potty stop, plus several water breaks. I also stopped to take Advil at mile 9. My knee/ankle started aching pretty badly, and miles 12 & 13 were brutal. My knee is feeling a little better today, & I will definitely avoid anything too intense until I'm recovered.

After the race, we had brunch, and my mom joined us, which was lovely. More laughs, planning our next race, and lots of just general happiness that we'd completed our race. It was the first half for my sister & friend, and my 5th, and first 1/2 in four years. I remember why I love running, and definitely want to run another one, with more consistent training. I've never had knee/ankle pain, so I know this is due to pushing too hard with not enough of a base this cycle of training. I'm committed to being more ready on the next go round!

The boys don't have school today, so I'll catch up on all of the work I missed, and get a few "life" things done as well. Nick is running at our county cross country event this afternoon, so there will be more running today!

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend. This weekend was a great reminder for me that setting challenging goals can be inspiring, and can push you to new limits. My sister/friend had always resisted running, and it wasn't until we all agreed to run this race that my sister started running at all. My friend had never run more than 5 miles. They are so hooked on running, & I couldn't be happier that we set a goal & accomplished it together. Woohoo!

8 comments:

  1. So glad the run was a success and the trip to the coast was so much fun! I am trying to push myself out of my comfort zone too and it is a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so good to step out of your comfort zone. I get nervous, but it's worth it!

      Delete
  2. well done on running in the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was such a fun experience to run with friends. I've never done that before, & loved it

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! You still seemed on cloud nine from the race when you wrote this post, which was nice to observe.

    I've been off running for two years due to tendinitis, and I miss it so, so much. Your post has motivated me to give it another try and see how it goes, though my days of pavement running may be permanently behind me. Running on dirt trails is much, much easier on my tendinitis. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does limit my race options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally was on cloud nine! Mostly because i hadn't expected to be able to run the entire thing, and yet. . . I did (minus water/bathroom break). We have a nature preserve that is 1/2 a mile from our house, so I do mostly trail running, & it is super hilly but much easier on my body. In fact, the half was on just pavement & my knees & ankles are sore!

      Delete
  4. Glad you guys made the run and had a fun weekend, sometimes girls weekends are needed!

    ReplyDelete