Saturday, December 14, 2019

Frugal Saturday

I was traveling all week, and got home yesterday afternoon. I'm still pretty jet lagged, but now M is out of town, and the kids have a soccer tournament. Here's what we've been up to lately:

Saving on things we buy:

  • I was able to buy two new pair of high quality ski socks for $14, which is about 1/2 what we would normally pay. I combined sales with a lingering gift card. And, remembered to go through Rakuten & add my rewards account. I earned another $5 gift card for the purchase.
  • I finally received a full reimbursement for Sam's bike that was damaged in the accident. I'm very happy to be able to put that money back in savings, as we had covered the full cost on our own. 
  • I was able to buy the kids the ski base layers they need for $6.99 (both top & bottom), which is a good deal.


Earning money:

  • I donated $20 for the boys soccer club scholarships, and won a $250 gift card to a local soccer shop. Nick needs new futsal cleats, and we'll use the rest to offset the cost of a new uniform, when the time comes. Winner, winner


Avoiding spending:

  • Knowing the boys would be getting home late from a game on Saturday, I prepped their dinners before I left for the airport. They were tempted to stop on the way home to pick up food, but that temptation was avoided by already prepped dinner. 
That was it from our side. What about you? Any frugal wins to report? 


2 comments:

  1. Great win on the soccer gift card. They grow out of things so fast. I just came across a practically brand new pair of cleats, probably the paid before her last pair, for my daughter. I think the soccer program will take them to have as spares when they do uniform hand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get your base layers? I've been pondering getting a couple because I'm always so cold!

    We picked up five sets of Legos for small birthday and holiday gifts for $45. Not an amazing price but decent enough considering we didn't have a lot of time to plan that set. Usually I do better at getting $10-15 type gifts for closer to $5-7 each ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete