Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Thanks to the "old me"

for being organized, and prepping freezer meals. My typical schedule is to cook on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays, and then we eat leftovers during the week. My flight schedule, combined with a holiday party at the neighbors on Saturday meant no cooking two of the three days. As such, I've been tapping my freezer meals to get by.

On Friday, we had a Persian rice, been & beef dish that needed just a salad + yogurt sauce to accompany it. For today, I defrosted a potato soup, and made crescent rolls. Even my son said, "these don't taste like homemade" :-), but they did the trick for a quick & easy meal.

It gets really creative later in the week, but with a combination of freezer meals, and a few "ready to eat" freezer options, we should be able to skate by until Friday.

Now, if only the "old me" would have also worked out more frequently, so I could be entering 2018 15 lbs lighter! :-)

Would love to hear from you. What's your tried & true easiest quick dinner option?

8 comments:

  1. I keep Trader Joe's fried rice in the freezer at all times. When things are nuts it is our go to quick meal. That and a tossed salad and we call it good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I've tried their fried rice, but love their samosas for a quick meal. Will have to try the rice, as I find their ready made options pretty great

      Delete
  2. My "quick" meal is to throw chicken in the crockpot with a can of cream of chicken soup, italian dressing, or soy sauce and serving over rice, potatoes, or pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you are amazing, because that sounds more complicated than I can muster up on a quick night! Maybe if I already had the pasta, rice or potatoes ready. I do find that sometimes I just combine the random things in the fridge, sometimes I can concoct something workable. :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't love to cook so as quick and painless as possible is my favourite meal! I do have one that I absolutely love which involves halloumi, Israeli couscous and some greens. Takes about 15 mins from start to finish and is delicious in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, tell me more! It would be hard to go wrong with halloumi. Yum.

      Delete
  4. Pasta, with anything, though I should personally avoid. Hubs and daughter like cream soups or tomato sauce the best, but I'll combine with vegetables, a little milk and cheese and call it a hot dish. Hearty omelettes or scrambles are a quick meal as well in our house,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fabulous. My husband, for whatever reason, won't eat eggs outside of morning time. So strange.I love quick egg meals, and that's one of the go tos when he travels. ;-)

      Delete