Sunday, December 30, 2018

Fitness progress in 2018 - how did I do?

With just a couple of days left in 2018, it's time to check in on my fitness goals for the year. There is, as usual, both good news & bad news. If health & fitness changes were easy, we'd all be at our ideal weight & running ultra marathons (or, insert your fitness goal here). :-)

Here's how I did with my 2018 fitness goals:
 
  • Lose 20 lbs. I lost 7 lbs, so progress was made, but not as much as needs to be made, or what I was hoping for. A few thoughts on this. As I get older, each year I need to continue to look for ways to make changes, as my metabolism slows down. 
  • Make running a consistent part of my life. Build & follow a training plan, & run a half marathon - Okay, so I ran a half marathon! That's the awesome news. I also didn't do super well with my my training plan, which means I hurt my knee during the half & it's taken several months before I can work out consistently again. But, I did run 48 times last year, so once a week. I really need to be running 3x/week, but I'm happy that I accomplished my half goal for the year, so giving this one a green. 
  • Eat five servings of fruit & vegetables (combined) per day. I finished the year with 4.12/day average. This will be a good area for me to continue to focus in 2019. Generally, when I've had a high fruit & veggie day, it's also a healthy eating day overall (lower calories, healthier eating, etc). I finished last year with just over 3, so this was as solid improvement. 
  • Get back to more actively tracking my calories, at least until I start to see a consistent weight drop. I did okay on this one, but probably missed about ten days where I just estimated. 
  • Complete 10,000 minutes of cardio - I crushed this! I finished with 10,595 minutes. Woohoo! I had 10,160 last year. 
  • Complete 100 strength workouts. - I have one day left, and I'm at 99 strength workouts. So, I'll be getting in a strength workout tomorrow & calling this a win! I can most definitely tell a difference in my more focus on strength training this year. I had 86 strength workouts last year. 
  • Complete 75 stretching workouts. Make yoga a consistent part of my life. - Eh, I finished with 40 strength training workouts. I had 36 last year, so at least there was some improvement. :-) 

The thing about health & fitness - you can never give up. It's an ongoing journey that needs to evolve as you age. I'm learning this lesson from my parents, who are in their mid to late 60s & still in incredible shape. Here are my health & fitness goals for 2019:

  • Lose 15 pounds. This feels achievable, but will be a challenge for sure.
  • Eat 5 servings of fruit & vegetables/day
  • Build & follow a training plan & run a half marathon in under 2:25. 
  • Work out every day in 2019. (Realistically, this will be completing 365 workouts, vs hitting every day. I want a bit of flexibility for days I'm sick, traveling, etc.) 
  • Get back to more actively tracking my calories
  • Complete 10,000 minutes of cardio
  • Complete 100 strength workouts.
  • Complete 75 stretching workouts.
  • Complete 100 meditations

What about you? Do you have health & fitness goals? How did you do in 2018? What are your plans for 2019?

No comments:

Post a Comment