Monday, November 4, 2019

October goal recap

The month is over, and a lot happened. Here's how I did on my October goals.

1) Financial:


  • Stick to the budget. - This was a super expensive month, with many yearly expenses coming due. We paid 1/2 of our property tax for our primary residence, as well as property tax & yearly  homeowners for our vacation house. We also bought Sam a new bike (hope to be reimbursed by the drivers insurance for at least some of the cost). The new bike doesn't fit on our bike rack, so we had to also get a new bike rack. We are going to Hawaii unexpectedly (M's work won a trip, and I was able to find inexpensive flights, so we'll go in a few weeks). Suffice it to say, we were not at our budget. 
  • Come up with a way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. Nothing here. 
  • Make $100 in side hustle - I made $460. Woohoo! 
  • Sell five items: I actually sold four (3 for me, one for my sister). 
  • Use up 5 freezer items from our house - yes!
    • 2 bags of burger patties
    • 1 package of spicy sausage
    • 1 bag of grilled chicken
    • 1 container of pizza dough
  • Use up 5 irregular pantry/fridge items - yes
    • Pistachios for nut butter
    • Sunflower seeds (on salads)
    • Finished 2 1/2 empty juice jugs
    • Used a small sunflower butter container in protein balls
    • Finished a container of tomato soup (gifted), that had been in the pantry for a while
  • Build plan for moving to part time - nope. I was promoted, and my agreement was to give it a bit of time after the promotion before I decide what I want next. The promotion gives me a ton of flexibility should I decide I want to switch companies, or if I want to have another "major career" job. At this point, that seems unlikely, but I now have a lot of options. 
2) Family - spend more time together as a family
  • Do one fun activity/month with the kids - I can't swear that we made this happen as a family, but for most of September & October, I was getting out for nightly walks with one kid at a time, which was awesome. Now it's too dark. 
  • Off the computer by 7:45 each evening. - The current news & politics is really unhealthy for me to read before bed, and I've had a few late nights with work. I always regret that, because I can't sleep. 
  • Have two date nights with M - Yes! We had one earlier in October, and one unexpected date on Halloween. 
  • Continue with Sam's plan, meet with school, attend various appointments. - Yes, this happened & we continue to work with his school & doctor on his plan. 
  • Deep clean the entire house. - No We are still waiting for three remaining doors. 
  • Finish door project, and budget/plan for trim. - Oh, what a saga. It's been six months & we are still waiting for three doors. Lowes has been an absolute disaster to work with. 
3) Fitness/health - lose 4 lbs.
  • Run 6 times - I didn't run at all
  • Track calories (1400/day) & 5 servings of fruit & veggies/day - Yes to the fruit & veggies, but my calories were 1591/day, which is why I made no progress in October. 
  • Work out 30 times - YES! I did 31 workouts!
  • Meditate 10 times - 0 meditations. My app subscription had a problem, and it took me some time to sort it out. I'm back & ready for November.

4) Personal/creative.
  • Do two social things - I drove with friends to Yosemite, which was quite fun & lots of good chit chat. I also joined a workout group, which is pretty social. 
  • Volunteer - Still no good options that have worked with my schedule
  • Journal 15 times - I journaled 7 times. 
  • Read a non-fiction book - nope



All in all, it was a month with two business trips & a lot of chaos (perf season at work, my promotion, Sam getting hit by a car)... I'm not surprised to see the sea of red. :-) Lots of areas of improvement for November. What about you? How did you do with your October goals?

6 comments:

  1. I have been eating low cal for a few weeks, even did better than I eve r have around the candy and treats at Halloween and the weight just is not moving anywhere. It is so hard to see results. Congrats on the promotion-if in the long run it will give you more life-work balance, that should be a good thing, right? Politics morning, noon, or night is making me not be able to sleep. I am so fed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, I feel it's so hard to work at the weight loss & not see any progress. I do generally feel better when I have fewer treats, so I'm trying to stick with it.

      The promo is definitely good while I'm here. I think it will be hard to go part time at my same company at this level, but that was always a risk.

      And, completely on the politics. SO HARD to want to feel informed, but stressing me out.

      Delete
  2. You did well on your goals, even though the financial one you spent more, an opportunity to get to Hawaii inexpensively must not be ignored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flight was around $300, and the hotel was free (for 3/5 nights). It is a great deal, and we definitely didn't want to say no. :-)

      Delete
  3. I have been away and it looks like I missed alot of your posts, so I am catching up. I am loving watching you make all of that money on your side hustles. I too have been trying to use up freezer items. I know what you mean on the weight loss plateaus. They drive me crazy but I keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I focus on the freezer/pantry clean out, it definitely gives me inspiration to use up things I wouldn't have thought to use.

      Delete