Friday, July 31, 2020

Frugal Friday

I feel like my COVID Frugal Fridays are much more boring than usual, but perhaps that's a good thing? Boring often means I'm out less/spending less/so less opportunities to save on purchases.


Saving on things we buy:

  • I refilled my Starbucks card for bonus stars, as I would have refilled anyway. I'll be picking up the kids on Saturday, and will likely make a stop at Starbucks. 
  • Updated our car insurance with a mileage form, to reflect our significantly lower mileage for the year. It will save us about $400 on our auto policy!

Earning money:

  • I went through my closet & took another look at my clothes. (I did this right as we transitioned to WFH). Now that I have a few months under my belt, as well as a much longer timeline of continuing to work remotely, I evaluated my clothes to see what I really need. I found a few things to donate, and a few items to list on eBay. One blazer I bought for international work trips (hahaha) has already sold. Excellent! 
  • Continued to list things we don't need on eBay.

Avoiding spending:

  • There was one takeout meal on Saturday evening, but otherwise, all meals made at home in our non kitchen. It's unglamorous, and meals are repetitive, but we're all getting fed & it's fine.
  • We've been using our garden produce in salads & meals, which has added some nice freshness with our mostly freezer based proteins. 

What about you? Any frugal wins to report?

7 comments:

  1. Fresh vegetables are a nice addition to any meal, evenif the same old. I'd never get anythng for my old clothes so donating will be what I will do when I get orgnaized to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it's just a handful of very name brand things that will sell. In this case, a new with tags blazer sold in a day, but a bunch will be off to the donation. Our local donation places often discourage clothing, because they get so much, so it's a hard tradeoff to figure out if the item is worthwhile passing on, turning into a rag, seeing if a friend wants it, or selling even for a small amount to prevent it from becoming garbage.

      Delete
  2. That is terrific that your auto insurance let you fill out a mileage form and will now save you money. I need to check into that. Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do! COVID has changed mileage for so many people, which can make a big difference on your annual policy. I noticed our insurance company didn't proactively communicate the mileage form option, but I asked & then updated, to great savings.

      Delete
  3. I am so with you on boring savings right now. If you don't go anywhere or do anything there is not much saving going on.
    I had bought a couple of summer clothing items that have never been worn because I have gone nowhere. I find during this Covid thing the I am wearing the same 5 outfits (and I use that term loosely only if shorts and tops count as outfits) daily and only change into pants if I am going to the store. Even then I wear them while shopping, take them off as soon as I get home, hang them outside in the sun for a bit then stick them back in the closet. I guess I can add savings on laundry detergent and electricity for washing as a frugal win. Not to mention make-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a great saving on the car insurance. Its good to be able to sell the clothes on ebay, I sold quite a few items that way a few years ago and it was definitely worth the effort of listing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing wrong with repetitive meals especially in the summer. It makes it easy!

    ReplyDelete