Friday, January 15, 2021

Frugal Friday

I've been working at trying to get our grocery spending more under control, by looking out for good prices on the most expensive items we buy (largely meat). 

The largest part of our frugality this week comes from our annual bonuses (paid today). We have a plan for the money & will divert it to our priorities. M & I both use our bonuses to max our 401ks. We will then transfer the money to savings until our refi clears, and we can use it to pay down our mortgage. By having a plan for the money, we ensure it doesn't get frittered away on wants. I may buy another piece of exercise equipment with a tiny portion of my bonus, but if so, it will be planned & budgeted.

On to the rest of the frugal wins. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Used $11 in grocery store rewards to get a few items for our menu this week
  • Used the remainder of my grocery store rewards, plus a downloaded coupon to get 15 lbs of ground beef for $1.50/lb. I divided it all up into individual portions, & froze it for future use. 

Earning money

  • I sold a game from our vacation house on eBay. Apparently, it's no longer made, so it was worth selling. Made $15.
  • I also sold two scarves, a pair of earrings & a book
  • This is more "getting my own money back", but filed a claim for reimbursement for Sam's prescription, received the money from my HSA, & then applied it directly to our mortgage
  • In a similar vein, contacted GM financing (there was a mix up with our bill, and they required us to pay twice or would report us as "late" for the turn in fee for our electric car. Turns out, it just took the post office six weeks to deliver the check.?!). Anyway, we now received the refund for the double payment. 

Avoiding spending

  • Nick made three loaves of bread this week, which we used in place of store bought. It accompanied ham & bean soup for two meals, was enjoyed for grilled cheese sandwiches, and of course, eaten sliced right out of the oven. 
  • I clicked through to a couple of shops this week, and was nearly tempted to buy things at places where I had gift cards. But, reminded myself there's nothing  I "need", and clicked out. I can save those gift cards for needs vs wants, which will help  our budget. 

For others

  • Gave away a few items on my local Buy Nothing
  • Had meetings & did some work for my volunteer role
  • Dropped off hats we made for the homeless
What about you? Please share your frugal wins or things for others? Inspire us! :)

3 comments:

  1. I am trying not to go into stores and when I get into them saying no to treats and things we don't need. I can go home and make something that is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good approach. My husband does the shopping, & while he doesn't buy treats, he does sometimes just buy things that are "on sale", but don't really factor into our meal plans. It takes time & effort to figure out how to use them all up. I can sometimes get snarky about this. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Now that I am over the worst of the shingles, I am cooking everything at home. Although, Tommy is never upset he has to pay for dinner.

    ReplyDelete