Friday, January 21, 2022

Frugal Friday

The grocery store deals have been few & far between lately, so like many of you, it's been a good time to evaluate what we have on hand, and make the most of our fridge, freezer & pantry inventory. Here are a few frugal wins from our side. 


Saving on things we buy

  • Used a grocery store gift card to buy a few items we needed. Noticed pasta was $1/lb (my stock up price) & the store had a points multiplier on that brand, so bought a few packages. Made sure to sign up for the double rewards ahead of the purchase
  • Uploaded receipts to iBotta & Fetch. Used iBotta's $.10 any item for the store. 
  • Picked up a very inexpensive cut of ham, that was on "manager's special". M doesn't like ham, but Sam & I enjoy it, so I've been looking for a small amount at a reasonable amount. I'll use some for a ham soup, and the rest for a ham, potato & green bean dinner. 
  • Picked up Costco pizza on the drive to Tahoe (we stopped for gas, as it's always the cheapest) & paired that with a salad for a very cheap & easy dinner on our arrival. 

Earning money

  • Cashed in $30+ worth of change at a machine, and got an Amazon voucher. I usually have between $10-20, so this was a nice unexpected amount. 

Avoiding spending

  • Made peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to take for ski lunches. Sam had his as a "snack", and then had a hot item. I had it as my main lunch, along with a fruit bar I'd packed. We also brought Gatorade that we purchased at Costco. We did buy a few things at the resort, but were able to be really selective, given we brought snacks, sandwiches & drinks from home.

Eating what we have

  • I continue to make creative lunches (e.g. fruit smoothies - using lots of freezer items, cheese & crackers, soup, etc) to reduce what we have on hand & ensure we have no waste. The smoothies had the advantage this week of using up freezer bananas (we have so many, & they take up quite a bit of space) & the last of a bag of frozen mango
  • Used up a bag of gyozas a friend gave us
  • We're not big sandwich people, but I picked up a loaf of bread for PB&Js, and had leftovers. I made the boys grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch on Saturday, before we left home. 
  • Finished off the last of the coconut shrimp for dinner one night
  • The boys used cream cheese (leftover from the chicken tacos & taquitos) on bagels this weekend
  • Nick finished off the last of the Costco pizza for dinner, on a night when he didn't prefer the dinner I'd made. 

For others

  • Continued my volunteer & mentoring role
  • Gave away things on Buy Nothing
  • Made a financial donation
  • Gave a soccer player a ride home (twice), when I saw he didn't have a ride & it was super dark & he was planning to bike. 
That's it from my side. What about you? Any wins to share?

10 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I made a large pan of lasagna that the middle son ate yesterday evening, and is devouring today because I so seldom make it. I have not had a pizza pan in years but picked one up in Target this morning, as well as a couple of their brand of pizzas for the weekend. We will see if I need to make chicken and potatoes for Sunday, it depends on my middle son. Otherwise, when I go back to my part time job next week, I will just eat beans and greens next week, since it is only me.I reserve the actual cooking for Thursday evening through Sunday now. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cook just Friday-Sundays typically as well, Cindy. We eat leftovers the rest of the nights & eat creative freezer options otherwise.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like another good week for you. The Costco pizza & salad do make for a cheap & easy dinner after traveling. It's a great price.

    I've been busy dealing with medical bills this week, but have it all sorted for the moment just waiting to hear back from Insurance. I will consider it a win when I get a refund. :)

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracking down the medical bills always seems to generate a ton of work, doesn't it? Fingers crossed for your refund!

      Delete
  3. Everything you do always inspires me to do better. I too have been making smoothies from applesauce and blueberries we have in the freezer. I need to use this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love smoothies, and they do use up a lot. If I add some protein powder & water, they make a great meal substitute for me, or a hefty snack for the teens.

      Delete
  4. I try to not even try and get deals anymore-just keep cooking basics and trying not to waste. Tonight is leftovers. Well done packing lunch and snacks for your ski trip. I'm sure a PB and J tasted really good on your break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, "deals" are so often not for things we need. I'm mostly focused on acquiring what we will use, at a good price.

      Delete
  5. Good for you on making sandwiches and taking your own drinks to the ski adventure. I try to do that when we need to use things up on our trips as well.

    Great frugal list.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a pricey family adventure, so it helps to make a few small tweaks to save money.

      Delete