Note to add that I wrote most of this earlier in the week & scheduled it, not thinking of the timing of this post falling on the anniversary of 9/11.
It was exactly the week I expected... in other words, definitely not great thanks to some work stuff going on. But, only two more work weeks until I go part-time! (I have a week of PTO also in there).
Saving on things we buy
- We had to buy a pricey water softener/purifier (the whole house kind - not just for drinking, as we've been having plumbing problems) & they had a Labor Day sale that we weren't expecting. It was still expensive, but we saved $200, which I suppose is better than a kick to the face.
Earning money
- Sold two jackets & a textbook on eBay. I took advantage of a 50% off promo coupon that was offered recently, and it made a difference in sales, so that was nice.
Avoiding spending
- Not exactly sure which category this falls into, but we recently purchased a Southwest voucher at a discount from one of M's coworkers who needed to sell it. It has an expiration date, so I cancelled Nick's flight for Christmas that I'd booked with United miles & rebooked on Southwest. The miles don't expires, so this gives us more flexibility in the future.
- My frugal fail is that I bought lunch at work on Wednesday (not avoiding spending), thanks to a very wild work week. However, I did get free snacks & fruit at the office, along with four free hours of car charging + a free team dinner. So, I suppose I still made out okay.
- Almost identical to the above was Thursday - I bought lunch, but got 4 hours of free car charging + snacks & fruit at the office.
Eating what we have
- I used up the arugula I purchased for the sheet pan BLTA recipe in salads during the week.
- Sam ate my leftover lunch & dinner from work events.
- We had leftover chicken & rice 3x, because....I was too busy & stressed out to cook.
- For the lunches when I was home, I made my current go to of a potato (heated in the microwave, & then diced), added to a pan & topped with two eggs & cheese. Super easy, fast & pretty healthy. Also, super filling.
For others
- Jumped through more hoops to secure a corporate match for our donor advised fund gift to the program I mentioned last week that helps students coming out of the foster system transition to college.
What about you? Any wins to share?
Hi! I’m a long time reader, first time commenter. What always enjoy reading your posts and am impressed and inspired by your money-saving/earning efforts! I also want to commend you on jumping through the hoops to get the corporate match for the DAF. I work for a small nonprofit and the matches are always appreciated. Keep up the good work! M’Shell
ReplyDeleteThanks - I figured it makes a big difference to the nonprofits, so spent the time. Ours is coming out of a DAF & my husband & I have different last names, so my corporate system sent it for additional paperwork & processing. Fingers crossed! - HP
DeleteI ate at home all week, which is unusual for me, and great for my budget.
ReplyDeleteNice work, Gina! - HP
Delete