Turkey with M's mom:
If things ever settle down in Iran (the airports are currently all closed), we would like to meet his mom in Turkey & bring both boys. It's unlikely Sam will be able to go, as he is on the wait list for a year long internship, but we would likely go in May, so Nick could attend. While we aren't able to pay for flights due to sanctions, we would cover all other travel expenses for M's mom + whomever else comes along. This trip is currently just a bookmark for May, as there's no way to know what will be feasible until it gets closer.
My dad's trip to Japan with my nephew:
My nephew would like to take my dad to Japan before the trip becomes untenable due to my dad's health. I've offered to sponsor most of the trip. I don't think my dad's back can hold up in an economy seat for an international flight, so I'm tentatively earmarking flights to be a very big expense.
An international trip with my mom & sister:
My parents don't have a ton of disposable income, and I know they would both love to do an international trip before they are no longer able to. My dad's big dream is Japan (above), but that's not on my mom's wish list. My sister & I are working on short list of options to share with her, as she's asked us to select something. A lot of things are being discussed, but she's not a big city person, wants something reasonably active, safe & easy logistics from San Francisco. So, more to come on this one.
Travel is already a significant portion of our budget for myself, M & the boys. I'll likely plan to pull forward some of our spending in 2027, and expect that it will level off quite a bit after that. I'm happy to have the flexibility to make these trips happen for our parents. As a result, we are going to work hard to keep other expenses in check & save up extra funds!
Travel planning, budgeting & optimizing perks, rewards, miles, etc is one of my favorite things to do, so stay tuned for more details on how I try to optimize these trips. Without work travel, I will not have many miles or points to leverage, but I will have the glorious advantage of having a flexible schedule.
Are you daydreaming of any trips?
I love to go see my family out West but I absolutely hate flying so they are the only reasons I will get on a plane. I love hearing about everyone and their trips on their respective blogs and on my friend’s facebook pages, but I truly only like to drive to the coast for a couple of nights ( depending on which part of the local coast, it is a two to four hour drive) or go see relatives who live three hours away max. Love seeing your pics and hearing about the trips but I stink at traveling, especially flying. I suppose if I could do a cross country and travel three hours a day max I would like it but not sure. I really liked sleeper car traveling on Amtrak pre Covid but I hear it is not as great now. I have not personally tried it since Covid though.Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteIt's a flight (or, very long drive) to see my parents, sister, etc as well as Nick in college. I wish we were still in reasonable driving distance from my family, as that definitely kept costs more in check when visiting. M's family, of course, is a very expensive and time consuming journey to get together with, regardless. And, so infrequent, but we want to make it happen if at all possible before his mom cannot travel again. - HP
DeleteWe got some money back from our Viking cruise and need to at least book and pay for another one by August of next year. Thinking an ocean cruise this time around.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I've looked at some of their ocean cruises, as options for a trip with my mom, and I would definitely consider it! I think weather changes have made the river cruises more challenging. - HP
DeleteWe are planning another European trip, but we are seriously considering a cross country car trip taking as long as we like to maximize our enjoyment. Of course we would end it in Portland to see Pip
ReplyDeleteOf course you'd need to end in Portland to see Pip!I'm not a big road trip fan - the last time we tried to drive back from the Oregon coast back home, we got stuck in a wildfire that was spreading rapidly & the maps & navigation had us on a route that ultimately was super dangerous. M handled it really well, but if we weren't in an off-road capable vehicle (more luck than anything else), it would have been a different situation. That freaked me out & I haven't moved past it, which logically I should. I let M handle the road trips at this point. ;-) - HP
DeleteI am only living the travel life through bloggers like you who enjoy doing so!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy most trips, with the exception of work travel! Who would enjoy flying for 13+ hours, and then needing to be on for the entire work week with no breaks & no chance to see the sights? No thank you! Happy that phase is wrapped up. - HP
Deleteyou have been on my mind. Hope you and yours doing okay with the weather out there. Blessed Be
ReplyDeleteThank you! We are all doing well. - HP
DeleteI'm happy for your planning abd hope all happens. It would be wonderful for M's family if that can happen.
ReplyDeleteSame. As a planner, it's so hard for me to hold on booking things, and planning details. It's very unnatural to just say, "we're holding this time period", but I have so much hope that we can make this work. It would be so important for M's mom in particular, after the loss of his dad. - HP
DeleteYes!!!! My daughter is spending the semester in Rome, and two weeks ago I booked a trip to spend a week in October with her. I managed to get a direct flight from Sea Tac to FCO, Rome, and I used miles, so only $75. I booked a sweet little room in a smaller hotel about two blocks from her student housing, and that was the major expense. If you know me, and if you have read my comments over the years, you know I haven’t gone far from home in a long time (my choice to be happily at home with my husband, no regrets AT ALL) so this is huge.
ReplyDelete-Meg B.
I am so happy for you, Meg! I hope this is an absolutely wonderful experience for you & for your daughter! - HP
DeleteTravel right now is kind of up in the air. So many changes because of prices.
ReplyDeleteAll your trips sound fabulous, and I send all the positive energy about M's mother and family being able to meet up with you soon.
ReplyDeleteOver here, aside from being in the British Isles currently, we just booked a 28 day cruise from Amsterdam to Boston by way of Scotland, Iceland, and Greenland, plus several of the Canadian Maritimes.
Travel does indeed get harder as we age. Such a difference now vs when we first retired some 16 years ago. I encourage you in your efforts to go big now. Yes, yes, and yes!
- Tamara / My Retirement Project