Friday, September 18, 2026

Frugal Friday

 It's been another week - and, we survived it! Nothing super exciting on the frugal front. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Picked up snacks at Trader Joes for our upcoming hiking trip. Light weight, reasonably nutritious & calorie dense are good options when spending all day hiking, as opposed to normal snacks. I uploaded receipts to Fetch & iBotta, and got a $.30 cash back offer from iBotta. The snacks brought from home will be substantially cheaper than anything we could buy in the parks, and it's unlikely we will be near any food locations for the majority of the days. 
  • I bought Nick a season's ski pass for the mountain near his college. I took advantage of the Labor Day sale (last day before it went up in price) & he was also able to get a promo code through the college ski club. This is his big Christmas gift, as ski passes are not cheap. 

Earning money

  • Today is my last day of full time work! I move to part-time (Monday-Wednesday) when I'm back from vacation!
  • I sold a shirt on eBay for $12.You might recall that I purchased some items at Uniqlo in Japan for the boys. There were a handful of items that weren't a perfect fit, so I'm selling what didn't work out. 

Avoiding spending

  • Sam is planning to take us to the airport before he has to go to work on Saturday, which will save us the cost of an Uber. 
  • Worked hard to fit my very different items (hiking boots, day pack, hiking clothes, plus much nicer clothes for Las Vegas) into one suitcase, to avoid the need to check a bag. 
  • I needed to pick up a prescription, and CVS had to send it to multiple pharmacies to get what I needed. In the end, they delivered it for free, which saved me time, gas money & the potential for spending money on other things while I was there. 

Eating what we have

  • M froze & then re-used his chicken marinate from the weekend before. It takes quite a bit of time to put it together, so he's started making it one weekend, then freezing it for a second batch. We are also stockpiling chicken for Nick, who has asked M to bring another big bag of frozen grilled chicken (Dad's special marinate) when we go to Boulder for family weekend.
  • I've been continuing to eat the occasional potato (microwaved, & then in a pan with eggs) for my brunch, as we have a large bag of potatoes in the pantry. 
  • We took the leftovers of the sheet pan with cabbage & sausage, and I added a few extra sausages to round it out & add more protein, which served as an extra diner.
  • We also had extra tomatoes & fresh mozzarella, so I made a caprese salad (bonus for basil from the garden) 2x, to round out some leftovers.
  • I had a scrappy lunch of an apple, a ciabatta bun that Sam abandoned & the last slice of cheese & made an apple & cheese panini, which is a great combination. 

For others

  • Hosted a volunteer event for work. 
  • Mentioned last week that I was chasing the process to get a corporate match for the donation we made to Guardian Scholars (a program that helps students existing the foster system & starting college). That got approved, which doubles the amount of my donation & impact to the non-profit. Woohoo! A small amount of work for me that will hopefully have a meaningful impact on the program.
What about you? Any wins to share? 

No comments:

Post a Comment