Saturday, August 8, 2015

A huge money saving win + random weekend updates

I'm admittedly not very on top of our insurance - we have (mostly) great rates & I renegotiated everything when we moved. Earlier in the week I noticed that our auto policy had increased. I called, and the company was increasing our weekly driving mileage, despite the fact that nothing had changed. In fact, M & I drive *very* little - our commute is pretty small. We also have a third vehicle that gets driven 1x/month that had way too much mileage on the policy.

I spent about 30 minutes gathering the odometer readings, mapping each commute, filling out a form, emailing it to the company. I just checked this morning & that effort paid off - a change of $836. WOW! I don't even want to think if I could have adjusted it earlier in the year, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Yeah for staying on top of our expenses!!

I also have to train for my relay & work on my distances & pace times. Here's what's on the agenda for today:


  1. Make a menu plan
  2. Laundry
  3. 5 mile pace walk
  4. Lift weights
  5. Yoga
  6. Sign our new lease
  7. Email new nanny all of the details
  8. Plan schedule for the week
  9. Costco
  10. Produce stand
  11. Library
  12. Plan my workouts for the week
  13. Clean up the boys books - they've finished a bunch of new series & we need to go through their bookshelf & decide what to keep/donate
  14. Reconcile our budget
  15. Read my book!

That's pretty much it! What about you? How have you saved money this week? What's on your agenda for today? 

2 comments:

  1. Weird, I have never heard of auto insurance companies increasing your mileage useage...I worked in the Insurance Industry in Canada for five years. Maybe it is different in the USA. Your property insurance always goes up though - even renters insurance as they have a very small built in inflation factor that increases either the content limit or building value every year therefore you should always expect a property increase. Great savings! Just make sure all your deductibles are at least $1000 on property and auto - you can afford to cover a small loss of less than $1000 and over time you will save hundreds just from that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible that they were using our old mileage from our Seattle days? We used to ski every weekend in the winter & drive to visit my parents, to our beach house. I'm guessing our mileage used to be significantly higher. Well, that's what I get for not paying attention!

    And yes, thanks - we have a high deductible for just that reason. :-)

    ReplyDelete