Sunday, August 9, 2015

August goals - week 1 check in & menu plan

I'm trying to improve my discipline by checking in more frequently on my goals. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind. :-)

Goals for August:
  1. Complete 1000 minutes of cardio, 15 strength workouts, & 5 stretching workouts. I have my relay coming up, & just joined a running club, so this should be doable - Okay, so I finished 340 minutes of cardio, 2 strength workouts & 0 stretching workouts. I'm on track for cardio, but not for strength or stretching. 
  2. Commit to my running club. I've never run in a group before, & I'm a little nervous/anxious that I might embarrass myself. - it starts on Tuesday!
  3. Complete my relay, have fun, & relax & enjoy the experience more this year, rather than stressing about the details. - Yes, looking very forward to it!
  4. Figure out what to get M for our anniversary. I'm thinking of experiences in Hawaii, rather than a gift, so I need to get things planned. - I've made a little progress, but am not done with the planning. 
  5. Stay on track with our budget. - so far, so good!
  6. Put more thought into our plans for our Seattle house (selling, keeping), plus our long term plan here (renting, buying, etc) - we haven't done much planning, & I need to reach out to our accountant.
  7. Menu plan. For reals. For the entire month. - yes! On track & doing great!
  8. Plan a fun activity for Labor Day weekend. - haven't thought about this yet!
  9. Figure out work & personal travel through the end of 2015. - Yes, my work travel is sorted. All that's left is booking & figuring out the holidays.
  10. Start planning our 2016 budget, including tweaks to our categories, budget amounts, etc. - Not started. 
  11. Call to see if we can reduce our car insurance. - yes! And saved $836!!!! 
  12. FIND A NANNY!! School starts in 2 1/2 weeks, & I'm starting to panic. - Yes, actually! She starts tomorrow. :-) 
  13. Seriously get more balanced in the work/life balance equation. It's pretty bad right now. Some goals I'm thinking of related to that: - generally working on it, but it's a long slow process!
    1. One night (or less) a week with evening calls. It's super hard to come home, make dinner, squeeze in family time, dreading the knowledge that I have to put in another couple of hours starting at 8:30 pm. 
    2. Amp up my recruiting efforts. I'm already spending 15 hours/week on this, but i have 3 people manager roles to fill, and once I fill them, my life will be MUCH easier, my evening/morning calls will be reduced, & I can travel less.
    3. Minimize travel to only urgent/super important tasks.
    4. Work out 5 days/week. This requires getting up earlier, making time for my afternoon runs, etc. I must prioritize my health!

Here's my menu plan for this week:
  • Saturday (yesterday) - beef kebabs, rice & yogurt sauce
  • Sunday (today) - grilled salmon, rice, & peach/fresh mozzarella salad
  • Monday - leftover salmon & rice
  • Tuesday - leftover kebabs
  • Wednesday - Spaghetti & meatballs
  • Thursday - Leftovers (if any), or chicken, edamame & rice
  • Friday - Shrimp pesto pasta
  • Saturday - homemade chicken pesto pizza
  • Sunday - chicken risotto
How was your Sunday? I did an 8 mile pace walk today & I'm SO SORE! 3 miles was straight uphill & my backside is not used to that kind of punishment. ;-) 

1 comment:

  1. Great goals! I love the idea of a running club. Also, great job on the car insurance savings! It has given me a HUGE incentive to do the same! That's almost $1000 a year! Your menu sounds delicious! I hope to have HUGE savings in the grocery department as it will just be hubby and I starting next week!

    ReplyDelete