Monday, July 23, 2018

2018 Goal Check In

With the year 1/2 way done, I thought I'd check in & see how I'm doing on my 2018 goals. You might remember that my big goals this year are to run a half marathon, quit my job/find something flexible, & lose 20 lbs. I'm definitely making progress on the first two. The last one remains quite a struggle for me. :-)

1) Financial:
  • Build/follow a 2018 "interim budget" (until I leave my job) & a 2018 "post-job budget", after. - we have a budget, & we're roughly sticking to it. We've added a few line items (air conditioning, etc) hat have increased our overall budget, but generally on track. 
  • Save another $125K before I quit - I'm at $61K. We've done about $30K of home projects, and owed more in taxes than expected for the sale of our Seattle house. Both impacted our savings quite a bit. 
  • Every month, come up with a new way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. - I get this about every other month. 
  • Model out a 3, 5 & 10 year financial plan - I've thought about this, but haven't made much progress. 

2) Family - Spend more time together as a family!
  • Do a minimum of one fun activity/month with the kids. This can be family puzzle night, cooking dinner together, board games, going out somewhere, etc. - This is happening!
  • Be more present with the kids & M - play games, minimize computer time, exercise together, etc. - I am doing this reasonably well, but not perfectly. 
  • Have two dates with M per month (one lunch, one evening) - we are averaging one per month. 

    3) Fitness/health - Lose 20 pounds, bringing my weight to 135. 
    • Make running a consistent part of my life. Build & follow a training plan, & run a half marathon. - I'm on my second week of a training plan, so this is coming together!
    • Eat five servings of fruit & vegetables (combined) per day - I'm behind on this one. 
    • Get back to more actively tracking my calories, at least until I start to see a consistent weight drop - I do this regularly. 
    • Complete 10,000 minutes of cardio - on track, with 5,880 minutes. 
    • Complete 100 strength workouts. - on track, with 63 workouts. 
    • Complete 75 stretching workouts. Make yoga a consistent part of my life. - definitely behind. I'm at 27. 

    4) Work/career - Improve my work life balance.
    • Keep better perspective at work/reduce stress (until I leave) - It's still hard, but I've made some big strides here. Knowing the end is in sight has been really helpful for my perspective. 
    • Determine an end date for my job. Tentatively scheduled for end of June. And then, quit my job. Really. Do. This. - I have had the conversation with my manager, and now we are in the planning phase!!!!!

      5) Personal/creative - Spend more time on myself/creative pursuits.
      • Learn how to cut my own hair - Nope
      • Learn how to make yogurt - Yes!
      • Make time for my friends. Do something social at least once per month. - While I haven't achieved once/month & have actually spent less time on small interactions (walking, meeting friends for lunches), I've done a few get togethers over longer weekends, etc. I did a girls trip in April & July. I also have a few friend lunches scheduled over the upcoming months, but this is an area where I can do better. 
      • Volunteer a minimum of 1x/month. - I've been pretty sporadic on this one, and need to find a flexible volunteering role. 
      • Complete a Dream Bio (stolen from Frugalwoods) - I started this, but haven't finished. 

      How are you doing with your goals, with the year just a smidge over half way over? Anything you want to focus on for the second half of the year?

      No comments:

      Post a Comment