Friday, November 27, 2020

Frugal Friday

 It was a busy week, with my parents in town & the holiday, but here's what we've been up to this week:

Saving on things we buy:

  • I redeemed the last of my grocery store rewards for various items we needed while my parents were in town
  • I was able to earn $30 in new rewards by picking up Home Depot gift cards that we need & use throughout the year

Earning money

  • Continuing to upload receipts to Fetch. It's small, but minimal work required
  • I sold a few things on eBay:
    • Two crystal glasses (they were purchased on Thanksgiving - maybe due to someone breaking a couple of their own?)
    • An ugly holiday sweater
    • A pair of soccer cleats
    • And, a wand for a magic game

Avoiding spending:

  • I'm not sure I have a lot here, as I've started holiday shopping & feel like I'm enticed a lot at this time of the year to buy things

For others:

  • I'm now working part-time as a volunteer at a non-profit, and enjoying it very much. More on this in a follow up post, as it's worth more detail.
  • My son learned to loom & is making hats for the homeless. He's having such a good time.
  • As a thank you to our neighbor for teaching my son to loom, he made a batch of homemade croissants (not a small time investment) & brought some to her
  • I ordered a large amount off of an Amazon wish list as a donation to a local high school fundraiser for those students who are homeless in their district. There were a lot of practical items on the list: razors, deodorant, & the like
  • I gave away a new puzzle (we'd just finished it that day) & passed it along to another family to enjoy via Buy Nothing
  • I helped my parents book their flights to Hawaii for next fall. They aren't great at understanding how to use their companion fares, & didn't know they also had stored credit from a cancelled flight. All told, they got their desired flights for $50 out of pocket & they were thrilled
  • M & I also helped my parents with a bunch of technical challenges that they bring to us when they come, and we were able to pass down a laptop that Nick no longer needs. It will help my dad with a work project he has going at the moment
  • I sent two books for a neighbor of my parents (their library doesn't have digital services - very small town, & during COVID hasn't been able to re-open)
  • I sponsored a 5k turkey trot through my work, and this was the week for donations & the actual event

That's it! I hope you are having a wonderful & quiet/peaceful week. What frugal things have you been up to, or things for others? Inspire us! 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a happy holiday. Your "for others" list is very long. I need to improve on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to your son on making the croissants. They are time consuming, but so satisfying when they are done. That's great that you were able to get $30 in new rewards via the Home Depot cards.

    ReplyDelete