Sunday, April 18, 2021

Sunday happenings

I definitely felt like I was back into my soccer mom routine yesterday, with an 8:00 am game (field arrival at 7:15, & setting the alarm for 6), and an afternoon game. The first game was really enjoyable to watch. The second was in my top five least favorite games I've ever spectated. Some parents are just obnoxious, and some teams don't demonstrate good sportsmanship. I'll leave it at that. 

After the terrible second game, I treated Sam to a Slurpee from 7-11. This is an unheard of treat in our house, but he'd played 180+ minutes of soccer, and 90+ minutes of warm ups, so he'd burned plenty of calories. ;-) Luckily, the Slurpee cheered him right up, and by the end of the ride home, we were laughing about the chaos of the other team & their poor behavior. 

The boys were on spring break last week, so my parents helped out with activities & taking them to fun events while M & I worked. It was great. They took Sam surfing on Wednesday in Santa Cruz, Nick & my dad went on long bike rides together, and my parents are also awesome & cooked plenty of food for us. We were sad to see them go on Friday, but are now getting back into our routine.

Tomorrow kicks off the official "start" of the school year, with Sam needing to be at the school by 8:00 am. Both boys bike to school, so it will be an early morning & a big transition from the online learning schedule. :-) We're excited to have him back in school. He's also getting twice weekly COVID testing (for his soccer team). We're hoping he will be eligible for the Pfizer vaccine soon, as he's 15. 

Last night's dinner was a team effort. M grilled steaks (from the freezer), I sauteed baby bok choy that M came home with, and Nick made delicious French bread. It's supposed to be really warm today (80+), so M is grilling hot dogs & corn, while I'll make a salad.

Nick has been buying & fixing up bikes for the last year, and then selling them to make money for a new bike for himself. He's also been doing lots & lots of chores for us, to earn extra money. A year later, he finally had enough for a new bike, so he's been getting in lots of riding. Boys on bikes make me happy. It's such a positive childhood experience, that doesn't allow for any technology!


That's it at our house. What about you? What are you up to this weekend?

7 comments:

  1. Today = Laundry and clean up the house. But it is a lovely day, Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure sounds like it was a great week. I'm glad all of you enjoyed the time with your parents. Delicious meals happening too. Have a relaxing Sunday and a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had an awesome ref once before a game that came over and gave parents a "pep talk" before the game. Basically, no mincing words that the game was for the kids and he was taking no crap from the sidelines but in a jovial sort of way. I'm sure my kid's team lost, but they always played hard. I hope Sam enjoys being back at school. Surfing and endless bike time sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice mom you are to get him a slurpee to cheer him up plus he probably needed the sugar and the water. I despise parents that don't teach their kids good behavior. I was able to get cauliflower for .49 a pond and in 4 colors. Purple, gold, green and white. I cut 1/4 a head into bite size pieces brushed with olive oil salt and pepper. and roasted So goo and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know if feels really good to be verging on a true "back to normal". I hope your sons enjoy their new school experience.
    Our town offered a choice of in class or remote learning for the year. From what I understand, since I have no one in school, our system did a less than stellar job with remote instruction.
    Surfing and biking does sound great. Ah, the joys of youth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely week, other than the one game. Some parents are really bad, no good sportsmanship whatsoever.

    Glad you had a fun visit with your parents.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids on bikes makes me happy too!!

    ReplyDelete