Friday, August 18, 2023

Frugal Friday

It's the final few days before school starts, and the teens are very busy! I'm also busy with work, and leave next week for my relay, so plenty going on at our house. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Nick would like to learn to golf (he also plays tennis, soccer, mountain bikes, surfs & skis - so.... there are a LOT of sports involved). I recommended that he sign up for a very discounted teen course fee ($5 at many local courses) & he found a set of used clubs at Goodwill. This way, he can try it out without a big cost investment. 
  • I used a $2 Rite Aid reward to pick up a replacement travel deodorant
  • I bought Nick a six pack of his favorite socks for $10 (50% off). With all of the sports, he's very hard on socks, and we are constantly tossing those with holes.
  • Reduced our internet bill by $15/month, by calling when our promo period expired. 

Earning money

  • I sold an old remote on eBay

Avoiding spending

  • Nick had planned to take a tennis class the last week of summer, but it was cancelled due to low enrollment. They offered me a more intense version, that was quite a bit more money. Instead, I rolled over the summer camp fee into his fall lessons, saving a lot of money towards those. He's also attending a few tennis clinics during the week when he was supposed to have camp, so there will still be plenty of tennis!
  • Used a gift card to pick up lunch at Panera while we were between soccer games for a tournament. I also earned $2 back with Fetch, as they were having a Panera promo of some sort. 

Eating what we have

  • We continue to eat a lot of garden goodies: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, & basil.
  • The boys were both going to be out with friends on Friday, so I planned an easy dinner for myself & M. (Wings, Trader Joes samosas, salad & a bowl of sliced tomatoes & sliced strawberries). Nick decided to leave a little later, so he also ate with us. He's not a big wing fan, so I made a quick chicken patty sandwich for him, and he wrapped up the last of the carrots, cucumber & a huge bowl of cherry tomatoes, with hummus. 
  • I've made the boys protein smoothies a few times, using up berries from the freezer (so many berries!) & almond milk. I've discovered that almond milk bothers my stomach, so I swapped it out for oat milk in my coffee. I don't want to waste it, so happy to find another use for it. The smoothies also include the free protein powder that I picked up on Buy Nothing. 

For others

  • Helped my parents with rebooking flights for their trip to Hawaii (now shifted to Oahu vs Maui). There were a few complications with their reservations, and my father is quite hard of hearing, so it's easiest if I sort it out with the airline directly. Two phone calls & one chat later, it's now fixed!
  • M spent Sunday helping our neighbor with a repair project.
  • We donated money to the Maui wildfires, and filled out a form via work, who will match our donation. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

2 comments:

  1. Excited for Nick to try golf. You might check out a junior college in your area. Foothill Junior College in Los Altos Hills has a driving range and practice pitching hole. Free of course. You can get a range ball bag (which holds about fifty balls and has a handle and a pipe which easily allows you to pick up the balls) and he can practice for hours for free. Also good to take his brother or a friend. Nice way to spend time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you could roll the money paid over to help pay for the fall lessons.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete