Friday, October 28, 2011

Tales from the grocery store

Or, tales from Costco, rather.

It feels like we were out of a lot on this trip & had to stock up, but I swear it's like that every week. Not the same items, but this week we were out of various cheeses, tortillas, pancake mix, and picked up candy for Halloween. It's always something. :-)

Here's what we got:

Dry goods/snacks:
  • Pancake mix - $6.45
  • Candy - $12.89
  • Z Bars (like Clif Bars, for kids) - $10.79
Bread - $21.46:
  • Bagel thins - $5.99
  • Bagels - $5.49
  • Tortillas - $4.99
  • Two loaves of Italian bread - $4.99
Dairy - $29.81:
  • Goat cheese - $6.29
  • Eggs - $4.69
  • Brick of sharp cheddar cheese - $9.59
  • Brick of mozzarella - $4.95
  • Milk - $4.29
Produce - $45.61:
  • Pineapple - $2.99
  • Oranges - $9.99
  • Bananas (x2) - $2.78
  • 3 pack of cucumbers - $3.29
  • Roma tomatoes - $4.49
  • Fresh cranberries - $4.99
  • Brussel sprouts - $4.79
  • Grapes - $6.79
  • Apples - $9.99
Total = $131.50

Evaluation of the shop:
We did end up with two unnecessary items. My husband (M) is in love with crostini, and picked up more bread & goat cheese for this weekend, even though it wasn't on the list. (We had both items at home.)

I'm realizing that we spend more than I expected on bread. I always think of bread as a time consuming process, and not something I can take on right now. Am I right, or lazy? Is it something you can quickly whip out? I would love quick & easy recipes!

We needed a bunch of cheese (and actually, M forgot to pick up an additional kind that we needed). I'm in charge of soccer snacks this week, am bringing two casseroles to a family event, and I need to make snacks for two Halloween parties next week, so this is around where I thought it would be.

I buy as many fresh cranberries as I have room for, freeze them in individual serving bags, & use them year round to make Fresh Cranberry Muffins. Swoon.

Please share your favorite/easy/quick/beginner bread recipes! I'd love to eliminate or reduce some of these costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment