As I mentioned yesterday, I do well with distractions & focusing on the day-to-day minutiae of our lives right now.
Here's our menu plan for the next ten days or so (M is out of town a lot, so meals will be easy again):
- Monday - we had leftover chicken pesto pizza + cheese pizza for the kids & salad
- Tuesday - Lentil soup + salad
- Wednesday - Leftover soup + grilled chicken on a salad
- Thursday - Soup + sandwiches
- Friday - Three cheese chicken florentine bake (from the freezer)
- Saturday - Chicken pesto paninis
- Sunday - Leftovers - cleaning out the fridge before we head out of town
- Monday - I'm bringing Maggiano's (Italian food) to my family's Christmas Eve party
- Tuesday - Christmas dinner with the family
- Wednesday - at the beach. I'm thinking Oven Baked Chicken Risotto
- Thursday - at the beach. Crab cakes + salad
- Friday - at the beach. Barbecued burgers + a veggie of some sort.
- Saturday - at the beach. Basil shrimp with feta & orzo.
- Sunday - Home from the beach, & possibly skiing. Chicken enchiladas (from the freezer)
- Monday - New Year's Eve! I think we're going to do grilled steak, sauteed mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes, & chocolate souffle.
In accordance with my plan in December to really dissect our 2013 budget & areas for cutback, I'm posting about one category per day. So far, I've covered mortgage interest (and a potential refi), our grocery budget., dining out, kids activities, gas, utilities at our vacation house, & utilities at our primary residence, & clothing.
Today's topic for discussion is . . . a juicy one - travel.
Oh my, the shame. Notice this one is buried ten deep in the list. ;-) And, honestly, I don't have *too* many regrets. We love spending time with our friends & family, & blew this number out of the water. I treat my friends to a trip every summer, & we treated my mom & sister to a trip for my mom's 60th birthday. Insert a few weekends away with me + M, and our family Hawaii trip, & you can quickly see where this is going. We spent $1400/month (averaged, of course) in 2012 on travel. *shivers*. Our goal for 2013 is. . . . (drumroll, please) - $0. That doesn't mean we won't do anything, but for goodness sake, we have a vacation house, & our priority should be spending our vacations together there. If we do any trips in 2013, the money will not be coming out of our standard budget. I have a few creative ideas on how to finance some upcoming events (my sister's 40th & a potential family trip to Hawaii), but none of that can come out of our monthly budget.
Now that I've confessed to our travel expenses, what was the number one category that you spent more than you expected on in 2012? And, how much do you spend on travel?