Here are my goals, with progress noted.
- Complete 1,000 minutes of cardio, 10 strength, & 5 stretch workouts. - I'm at 580 minutes of cardio, 5 strength, & 2 stretch. Need to focus on the stretching, but on track.
- Finish my 12K! - Done! It was cold (35) & damp & windy, but I did it! :-)
- Decorate the house for the holidays, & mail all Christmas cards. - Done!
- Lose 5 lbs (bringing me to 142). - Ah, December is hard. I'm wavering between 145 & 146, so slightly behind. Especially with all of the festivities.
- Finalize 2013 goals & budget. - Done!
- Have one date night with M. - We're planning to have lunch on Friday.
- Get together with two friends. - Lots of get togethers this month. Done, done, done! :-)
- Update/amend our 2011 taxes based on the $16K repayment issue. - We've done our part. Waiting on M's previous employer to do theirs.
- Stick to our December budget. - We'll see. It will be tight with some unexpected refinance costs.
- Clean out my closet & both boys closets. - Yeah, not yet.
- Put together our will & guardianship (at least a draft). - Yeah, not yet.
- Go to at least 5 holiday events with the kids! Lots of choices in our area - a parade that happens every night, a botanical garden decorated with lights, & a kids museum with a special gingerbread house exhibit. - Done! We'll likely do a few other things as well.
In accordance with my plan in December to really dissect our 2013 budget & areas for cutback, I'm posting about one category per day. So far, I've covered mortgage interest (and a potential refi), our grocery budget., dining out, kids activities, gas, utilities at our vacation house, & utilities at our primary residence.
Today's topic for discussion is . . . clothing.
I've fallen behind on posting my budget categories, so here are two for today.
- Boys clothes/shoes/sports gear/etc - We shop sales (except for shoes - we buy one pair of high quality shoes for each kid + rain boots) for clothes, but still manage to spend more than I'd like outfitting two rough & tumble boys. Average monthly spend in 2012 was $113. I'd like to bring this down to $50/month. I think this is doable. I used to be very big on shopping one season ahead, but have discovered fits don't exactly match (I have one very skinny child, & one more average sized boy), seasons don't always align, & I tended to forget what I had in the closets & overbought. That's a bit of a good news/bad news situation, as we have a fairly substantial inventory in the next size up, which should reduce our need to spend in 2013. The $50/month will mostly go towards shoes, and any sporting equipment/uniforms.
- My clothes/shoes - I probably spent the least EVER on my own clothes in 2012, minus running stuff. That killed my budget. I went through three pair of running shoes before I found a brand/fit that didn't make me lose all of my toenails. Lovely, eh? I now have some preferences, & think I can cut this back in 2013. I spent $138/month in 2012 & will spend $25/month in 2013. I'll likely bank this each month to replace my running shoes once/quarter or so.
How much do you spend on clothing for yourself & your kids?