Categories where we were over:
- Boys (misc) - we bought our older son a bike (used, on Craigslist) as he grew out of his. We also bought the boys bike locks, so they could ride to school & securely lock up. Over by $163.95.
- Childcare - I paid for & booked all of our summer camps. Crazy expensive. I bid on two in the school auction, so I saved $150, but all in all, the childcare costs will go down for the summer. Thank goodness. It's mostly just prepayment of future costs. Over by $3,016.
- Dining out - over by $16.2. Mostly from a lunch out at Great America at Easter. I won't even get into the food prices. And, we ordered two sandwiches from Subway - this wasn't exactly fancy. INSANITY.
- Entertainment - over by $346. We bought season passes to Great America, & expect to use the water park passes regularly during the summer. It's already 95 here! This also included our Easter visit, and parking. I do need to figure out how to keep the food costs down, so we can afford to go semi-regularly. I also feel compelled to confess that I got really into a series & bought & read 9 books! I'm a little ashamed - I rarely pay for books.
- Gas - over by $83. This is unusual for us. I guess this is driving to more soccer games.
- Groceries - over by $15. I'll take it! :-)
- Liquor - over by $58. My wine was on sale, so we stocked up.
- Mortgage - over by $25. The insurance went up slightly, so I'll be over every month until the end of the year, as I measure the yearly budget against actual.
- Vacation house utilities - over by $14. We're paying a yard guy to mow, and keeping the house warm for showings, both in the goal of eventually reducing our expenses. :-)
- Toiletries - over by $11.
- And, the grand daddy of expenses. We paid $15,038 in taxes.
Adios, April. I won't miss your expenses at all!
On the plus side, we came in under a few other categories. Net/net (minusing the taxes), we were over for the month by $500. Not terribly shabby.
We are setting a goal of actively trying to pay down our second mortgage on our Seattle house (and of course, selling our vacation house), so that we can eventually figure out the housing situation here. We owe just under $150K on it, so it's going to take some creative thinking to get it paid off.
How about you? How did your April turn out?