Wednesday, December 23, 2015

2016 Goal Planning

I've streamlined my goals quite a bit for 2016. Instead of having a giant laundry  list of goals, I now have 5 core goals, with some details on how I'm going to achieve them. It feels like a much more manageable list, and I'm hoping will allow me to focus on the things I truly want to accomplish!


1) Financial - Save $160,000 for my "leaving work" nest egg ($100K to offset expenses, $45K for taxes, $15K for travel)
  • Decide what to do with our Seattle house
  • Build/follow a 2016 "interim budget" (until I leave my job)
  • Build/follow a 2016 "post-job budget"


2) Family - Spend more time together as a family!
  • Do a minimum of one fun activity/month with the kids
  • Be more present with the kids & M - play games, minimize computer time, exercise together, etc. 
  • Have two dates with M per month (one lunch, one evening) 


    3) Fitness/health - Lose 20 pounds, bringing my weight to 133. Yes, I've gained weight since last year. Stress, eating poorly & no exercise will do that to you.
    • Run a 5K, 10K, 15K, & a half marathon, as a 40th birthday gift to myself. Not all in the same day. ;-) 
    • Track my food/exercise every day.
    • Eat five servings of fruit & vegetables (combined) per day
    • Complete 10,000 minutes of cardio
    • Complete 100 strength workouts.
    • Complete 75 stretching workouts. 


    4) Work/career - Improve my work life balance.
    • Keep better perspective at work/reduce stress (until I leave)
    • Leave my job in June.
    • Take the summer off
    • Find a new, flexible job in the fall.



      5) Personal/creative - Spend more time on myself/creative pursuits.
      • Learn a new skill. I'm thinking of learning a new language, but would be fine with anything: sewing, knitting, expanding my baking, etc.
      • Make time for my friends. Do something social at least once per month.
      • Read 50 books. 



        What about you? What are your goals for 2016? I may make some small tweaks, but this is what I'm aiming for "next year"! :-) 



          6 comments:

          1. Going to post ours next week, I am still working on a few things. This is the first time we have set goals and we are doing them with our kids as well - them being teens and all.

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Love the idea of goal setting with the kids! We have all agreed to try new recipes this year (with a goal of getting both kids, but particularly my youngest to try new foods).

              Delete
          2. I like your focused approach. I want to be healthier rather than lose weight as it seems I lose 3 lbs and gain 3 lbs.

            ReplyDelete
          3. You are so focused. That is so great. I do have some goals , but they're more like... get thru the day.. get thru the next Velcade shot.. (just kidding). :)
            When I was your age , I was swimming everyday and lost huge amounts of weight(I ended up at 109 lbs(no kidding) but then my non existent hormone levels,previously, kicked in and whoa.... guess what??? I got pregnant at 41.
            It was pretty wonderful. But since then the weight just crept back on and I stopped swimming as the pool closed. But I have a wonderful 21 year old son.
            I think the Seattle house would be great to keep if you're moving back eventually.
            Gee, you make a lot of money!!! Good for you!!

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. I used to weigh 120, pre-kids, so I'm feeling very non-fit at the moment.

              Delete