Here are some of the frugal wins for the week:
- Transferred our tax savings (Federal & State from profit of our rental house sale) to a higher yield savings account. Will likely make an extra couple hundred dollars in interest vs the account I previously had.
- Avoided going out for ice cream on Sunday night, and had watermelon at home instead. Even though it was 90+ in our house. We sat outside, as it was just started to cool off, and dipped our feet in the pool.
- Ate lunches at home on our long weekend
- Returned the moleskin I bought at Rite Aid (for Nick's giant blister). All of their products have a "try & buy" warranty. I bought it & was unable to remove the sticky backing on any of the sheets, so took it back for a full refund.
- Converted hotel points to airline miles, generating 100,000 miles (enough for 2-3 round trip flights)
- Redeemed remaining points for a $100 Target gift card, that I will use towards Christmas gifts.
- Used $48.04 of airline credit from a price match to offset some of the cost for my parents trip here in October. They are coming to stay with the kids while we go to Hawaii for our anniversary.
- Noticed that Comcast was charging me for a modem rental. We had it picked up way back in April (a story for another day). That means, months worth of $10/month charges. I called & am getting all of those charges reversed, as well as a reduction of $10/month in ongoing charges. First of all, such a scam. Second of all, what a huge savings based on just correctly monitoring my bill.
- Changed our ski week trip to Tahoe for a unit with a bigger kitchen (but mostly because we had to switch days & the days we wanted weren't available), and it was actually cheaper. Woohoo! Saved about $100.
- Price matched another flight & saved $10 (will receive credit for the airline for a future purchase).
- Made dinner every night this week, despite the chaos.
- Packed a dinner for myself & M to eat at the airport. The kids will grab a burger when we get there.
That's it for us! What about you? Any frugal wins for the week?