Friday, June 23, 2023

Frugal Friday

Another very, very busy week, with the boys working & M & I working more than usual. We did have Monday off, which was so lovely, after being gone over the weekend. It was nice to catch up! 

Saving on things we buy

  • Our flights last weekend were in & out of separate airports (because of the cost difference on the return flight - so much cheaper to fly home via SFO), so we weren't able to park. We priced out the least expensive option (Lyft) & used that both ways. We get a small discount as well via our credit card. 
  • I bought discounted travel gift cards at Costco. 
  • I buy 2-3 pair of running shoes a year, and discovered that my current favorites (Brooks, Ghost 14) were on sale. Additionally, my credit card was also offering 10% back at Brooks, and I clicked through to Rakuten first, saving an additional 2%. 
  • Uploaded a few receipts to Fetch & iBotta, saving $.35 on raspberries. 
  • I used a $20 grocery store reward (earned buying gift cards) to offset the cost of: two bags of salad, hamburger buns, a loaf of bread & two packages of cheese for the boys sandwiches, plus oat milk. I paid $5 out of pocket. 
  • The boys are done from camp earlier than expected on Fridays, so I was able to move up our flight for the wedding we're attending. We will need an additional night in a hotel, but even with that, it's a $400 savings. Bonus, the hotel repriced my first night reservation & increased the rate by $40 when I added the second night, but I caught it  & they adjusted it for me. 

Earning money

  • I sold a pair of shoes on eBay

Avoiding spending

  • M & I used our free lounge access app & had two free drinks + dinner at the lounge. We received the lounge access app with our credit card, & will be tracking the cost of the card vs the perks this year, to see if it's worth continuing. The sign up bonus paid for the card for the first year, but we'll want to see how the cost plays out after the first year.
  • Brought snacks from my parents house, for the return flight on Sunday. 

Eating what we have

  • Rather than takeout, we found dinner options in the freezer, after we flew home on Sunday

For others

  • Sadly, I can't think of anything this week. This is a good reminder to focus on this next week.
What about you? Any wins to share?

3 comments:

  1. What a great deal on your shoes! Kudos to you. :) nothing too amazing here this week, just the usual same old same old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm thrilled that we were able to refill the propane tank for our first June Lakota family so they'll be able to heat water for cooking and bathing. I'm also working on the second family's shopping.

    I wondered if you caught that Costco sale on Southwest gift cards, noticed it this morning :)

    We had leftovers from a work event on Saturday last us a long time through this week and we managed to skip take out all week. It's not a moral obligation, my sanity and health are more important than an invisible made up goal of avoiding takeout, but I'm always pleased when it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great savings all around! Funny, I was actually planning on buying a pair of Brooks too, then changed my mind about it. I don't like how the new athletic shoes (many different brands) mesh now looks more like plastic. I'm currently trying UA shoes and so far, so good. Hope you all have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete