Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Anniversary trip to Utah & Las Vegas Budget Roundup

We flew into Las Vegas on a Saturday, and flew home the following Sunday. We spent Saturday-Thursday in St. George, Utah & the drove back to Las Vegas on Thursday, where we stayed until we flew home on Sunday. 

Flights: $989.52

  • These flights were extremely expensive, for no particular reason other than the fuel surge. I had a few small flight credits that I applied to the reservation, saving me about $90. Not that much. I also was able to leverage my A list status (earned through primary travel credit card) to allow for the basic ticket price, while still getting perks of the next ticket class up. After minor credits, total spent for flights = $989.52
Transportation: $392.52
  • Sam had to work really early on the day we left, so we didn't have an option to head to the airport early for a ride & avoid paying for a ride share. However, I did use credit card Lyft credits to get the cost down to $14.50, which included a tip on the full value. 
  • We booked a car for the Utah portion of the trip, and spent $235.19 on the car rental. 
  • I paid $65 for parking (split across 2 days) at Zion. 
  • Gas: $18.03 + 20.59
  • I paid $12.16 for a taxi in Las Vegas
  • On the way home from the airport, we spent $27.05, including the tip. 

Lodging: $100
  • In Utah, we stayed at my friend's condo. I loaned her cash in Las Vegas, and she offered up a future condo trip as a fun exchange. We picked up a couple of gift cards to local restaurants as an additional thank you.- $100
  • In Las Vegas, we stayed at a hotel using comps.

Food: $1085.69
  • We had a splurge lunch in Las Vegas before we left, after picking up the rental car, and spent $258, which included a bottle of wine & a lot of fun people watching. 
  • We bought some supplies for the condo at Costco, including: apples, coffee (will leave what's leftover), wine, protein bars, eggs, three prepped meals for dinners & a prepped tray of pretzel sandwiches for packed lunches. We spent $245.27, and it's not lost on me that's cheaper than our entire lunch above!
  • We ate lunch in St. George at Viva Chicken (I was still remembering my salad from the girls trip back in March, & it did not disappoint! I also wanted to pick up a gift card for my friend, as a thank you) - food cost only - $36.61
  • We made a stop at the local grocery store for additional bottles of water (not recommended to drink the water at the condo, but I'm not sure if that's a taste preference or not.) Given we were going to be hiking during the trip, did not want to chance any stomach issues. We bought gallons of water (they also use it for the coffee maker, etc), sparkling water, handi wipes for hiking, & deodorant for M (forgot his). Deodorant isn't food, but including here anyway. - $22.86
  • We stopped for more water, salt, an onion, two bananas & Sour Patch Kids (my hiking treat of choice!) & paid $20.64.
  • We went to lunch after our last day in Zion, & spent $102.31 (includes an after hike beer). 
  • We spent $400 on food tips in Las Vegas (the rest was comp'd, but tips are not).

Activities: $222.23
  • I bought a national park pass for $80. I'm going to get at least 4 days, so I'll divide the cost into $20/day, for easy math. We went to 3 days of national parks, so this cost $60. The great news is that I was also able to bring M in for free each day with my park pass. 
  • We also spent $20 on a day pass visit to Snow Canyon State Park in St. George
  • I spent $70.23 on the gear for The Narrows (canyoneering boots, large poles, and a dry bag). 
  • The two lottery permits for Angels Landing were $12.
  • Massage tip - $60 (the rest was comp'd). 
Other: $500
  • I lost $500 gambling in Las Vegas (my trip limit), over the course of 4 days. I have about $100 of comps for our next trip. M was in a black jack tournament, so our room, the majority of our food, the hotel stay & a massage for me was all comp'd. Tips are not included, which is why you see them called out above. Reminder if you are new and/or I haven't explained this before, but many years ago, M won a craps tournament & put the winnings in a "Las Vegas" fund. We don't consider the money "real", although of course it is actual money. We use that initial fund to generate comps, which we use for trips to Las Vegas, & he's since won additional tournaments, and the money again stays in the fund, because you also lose, of course & we enjoy the value of the comps. If I do any gambling, I do so with my own fun money. M made it to the finals of the tournament, but didn't win. Please note, in no way do I recommend this as a "money saving" hobby, a way to save on holidays or heaven forbid "make money". This is something M has done to make the cost of a hobby he really enjoys (tournaments - black jack, craps & baccarat) as close to free as possible. 
Total spent = $3289.96 for an absolutely fabulous trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment