We went for a family run/bike ride this morning, and we'll head out to swimming lessons in a bit. Nick is not excited about swimming again, for whatever reason. He's very nervous about the water, so fingers crossed all goes well.
We're splurging a bit on dinner tonight, and opening up one of our nicer bottles of wine. Given that we haven't been able to go out to dinner in about 4 months due a babysitter challenge, we've been trying to make the most of our time together on the weekends.
Here's our menu for the week. As always, keeping things simple on busy weekdays, so you won't find much variety or exciting choices on our menu. ;-)
- Saturday - We had risotto, using up remaining chicken
- Sunday - Easter dinner of steak, salad & potentially bread on the side
- Monday - Leftover risotto
- Tuesday - Tacos
- Wednesday - Spaghetti & meatballs
- Thursday - Rocky chicken & pasta (or leftovers)
- Friday - Shrimp & pasta
And, on to my confession. Despite my best efforts (or, not, as it would appear), I've lost exactly zero pounds since January 1st. I know that turning 40 has had some impact, but I'm also just not consistently keeping my calories low enough, or working out often/hard enough. Something has to change. I've gained 15 pounds since I started this job. Travel, stress, and an abundance of delicious (free) food, plus a lack of time to exercise, means it's a big challenge. But, I'm now in the "overweight" category, and really unhappy with my physical appearance.
It's time to dust myself off, stop making excuses, and really get focused. The biggest changes I see that need to happen are as follows:
- I can get in a morning workout 3x/week during the work week, and then Saturdays & Sundays. My body really requires that level of exercise to be fit. And, I must make running happen again - it's the best way for me to consistently lose. I'm already working out on almost every Saturday & Sunday, so this is mostly a weekday morning change. Right now, I'm averaging about one morning/week.
- Lunch. Before starting this job, I always packed a lunch. I only had the options of the food I brought, and knew exactly what was in it. Although I have given up treats at work, it's still not enough. I need to make smaller lunch choices, and eliminate a few of my regular snacks.
- After work. I get home & I'm starving before I make dinner. I often eat a bunch of healthy carbs, & then have no calories left over for a healthy dinner. Or, I go over my calories. Neither is good. No junky snacks after work - hummus & veggies are a good option for me.
- Generally, lower my calories into the 1400 calorie/day range I've been trying for. Consistently. I'm 40 now. Time to cut back, because what I used to do to lose weight is no longer working.
And, there you have it. Losing weight, getting back in shape & being fit are my big goals for the upcoming months!
How about you? Any success on the health & fitness front? I may go back to blogging more about fitness (I used to have a running blog, but stopped after I wasn't running consistently.) I may turn it into a more general fitness blog & link to it here. We shall see!