Monday, September 2, 2019

August goals - how did I do?

It was a lovely month, but I definitely felt the "end of summer" pressure to get everything done, as my sabbatical was coming to a fast close. . . particularly because I cut a week off at the request of my manager.

1) Financial:

  • Stick to the budget - we did okay this month, although not great. We were under on child care (thanks to my sabbatical) & over on groceries. It was a pretty close month, however, with just $15 over. We were also over on dining out, but I covered half of a dinner out with a large group for my dad's birthday, and bought discounted gift cards that we will use for future dining out. When calculating all of the categories, we were over by $215. 
  • Come up with a new way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis - I don't think we did much for this one. 
  • Make $500 in side hustle - I made $670. It would have been over $1,000 if I hadn't had two expensive eBay snafus. Sigh 
  • Sell ten items - I sold 18 items, which is huge for me!
  • Use up 10 freezer items - I used up 11 items. 
  • Use up 5 irregular pantry items (you know, the things that linger & aren't a part of your normal menu) - I did this, although a few things were also just tossed, as they were expired, stale, etc. 
2) Family - spend more time together as a family:


  • Do one fun activity with the boys - I took Sam skating, & Nick rock climbing. 
  • Off the computer by 7:45 each evening - I did "okay" with this, but find when I don't have a great book to read, I'm more tempted to get back on the computer. (I rarely watch TV).
  • Have two dates with M - Yes! One at the house, and one out for a friend's birthday, followed by dinner.
  • Continue with Sam's plans (meet with the school, set up additional tutors)
    • Met with doctor
    • Researched insurance benefits
    • Had a call with the school counselor
    • Set up first therapy appointment
  • Deep clean the entire house - I actually still have a few things on my wish list. It's silly to do all of the deep cleaning before our doors are finished, as the door installation makes a huge mess. 
  • Finish remaining projects at the beach house (fire pit, contractor work) - the fire pit is done, the doors were installed this week, but the fridge repair was pushed out until next week. 
  • Finish house projects - drapes, second chandeliers, doors, trim - we finished the chandeliers, but 1/2 the doors are still on back order. We also need to order the drapes. Hopefully today!
3) Fitness/health - lose 4 lbs - sigh. I don't think so. 
  • Run 12 times - I ran 1x. It was super hot in August, so getting outside was challenging. 
  • Track calories (1400/day) & 5 servings of fruit & veggies/day - I was at 1630, which explains the lack of weight progress. 
  • Work out 35 times - I worked out 24 times. 
  • Meditate 10 times - I meditated 4 times. 
  • Complete relay at or below pace time - I finished, but struggled on my second leg as I wasn't feeling good. It was my personal worst for that particular relay leg, which is 8 miles. I did it at 3:00 am, which certainly didn't help. 
4) Personal/creative
  • Do four social things - had lunch with a friend, went to a brunch with another friend, and did two workouts with a friend. 
  • Look for a flexible volunteer option - tried to find a slot for volunteering at back to school day, but it didn't work with some driving I was already scheduled to do
  • Journal 18 times - I journaled 10 times. 
  • Read one non-fiction book - nope
  • Tackle six projects from my sabbatical list:
    • Family photo books complete - the rest are digital, and M has been working 80 hours weeks. I need him to access the digital photos. 
    • Wash all windows - done
    • Stain table - nope
    • Declutter the rest of the house - everything but the kitchen
    • Power wash the patio - nope
    • Continue yard work (front & back) - yes, although not done
    • Figure out what to do with fence posts - requires M, so not done
    • Get quote for fridge damage & submit to delivery company - decided to skip, as we are still waiting to have the fridge repaired.
    • Order glasses - yes
    • Get a hair cut - yes
    • Find geometry tutor for Sam - so far, we haven't needed this. 

While I would have liked to have seen a few more greens on the list, I did get a few other things done that were on my sabbatical list. I got in three more workouts at the studio I bought the monthly pass for, I got a massage, got all of the paperwork done for our refi, moved investments to qualify for the additional refi rate drop, etc. Let's hope I can get a lot done in September!

What about you? How did you do with your August goals?

2 comments:

  1. I think you did great after all you did spend great time with the family and enjoyed your sabbatical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really well on your August goals and excellent on eBay this month. We made it thru August and were able to pay all the bills and put some back. I also went back to work, which will help in September.

    ReplyDelete