Saturday, February 1, 2020

Frugal Friday (or, Saturday)

I was out of town at a work training, and ended it by extending a night at a spa/retreat. It was, by no stretch of any imagination, frugal, but it was incredible. It involved a big wellness focus, meditation, yoga, & quiet team. It was so incredible that I'm thinking of how to build it into our travel plans for the future. It was exactly what I needed.

Saving on things we buy

  • I called the DMV to request a refund on a double payment that somehow happened. It was no fun dealing with the DMV, but it's $457, so definitely worth the pain. 
  • I bought 2 lbs of taco seasoned ground turkey & 1 lb of ground sausage for $.99/lb. 

Earning money

  • I took all of our change to a Coinstar machine, and redeemed it for an Amazon credit. I don't know that's earning money, but I'll take it. We need a new toilet part. So glamorous. 


Avoiding spending

  • I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with TurboTax this morning to get a handle on a state re-file. There was a software error, so I was entitled to audit protection for 2018 federal taxes. I needed to talk to them to understand how to file an amendment to state taxes. It saved approximately $500 in penalties by proactively refiling. A TON of money has been spent correcting this error ($20k), but it was money we would have owed last year, had the software correctly calculated our mortgage deduction. So, while it stings, I'm glad to have it wrapped up. 

What about you? How did you save money this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment