Friday, February 28, 2020

Frugal Friday

It was a very intense week at work. I work in & manage a global team that does a lot of traveling. The Corona virus has certainly created a lot of uncertainty. Here are the frugal wins for the week.


Saving money on things we buy

  • Some of you may remember our LONG saga with Lowes & our doors. We placed the order in June. The last door was installed in February. This was not a complicated order, and the amount of effort, hassle & errors was truly stunning. They agreed to compensate us once the job was over. I have emailed them multiple times since the job ended & would not ignore the silence. They have agreed to discount the job & credit us back 10%. Which is $1500-1600. Can't remember exactly. It in no way covers the time & hassle, but I'm so happy we will move on & that we will be getting a small discount on the doors. 


Earning money

  • Sold an item on eBay & made $14. 


Avoiding spending

  • M bought me a nice bag for my birthday, as my other one is about to rip off at the handle. It was bigger than what I'd normally prefer, so I took it to the store to exchange for a smaller version. The difference was about $55. Even though I had the receipt, and he paid with a debit card, the store would only give me a merchandising voucher. I looked around & strongly considered buying something else. Instead, I came home, listed the voucher, & sold it for $48. Winner!
  • Ate at home all week, and packed snacks for the kids between soccer practice & games.
That's it from my side. How about you? Any frugal wins for the week?

4 comments:

  1. I can only imagine trying to manage a team that works so internationally right now, very difficult. I doubt they will be trying to send you to HK any time soon. Even domestic travel is getting scary as several cases of Coronavirus have gone thru Vancouver Airport in the last 2 weeks and hubby has flown in and out of there 6 times during this timeframe. Oh well, you just take what precautions you can and hope for the best. There is a Canadian researcher who did a massive study on the Sars outbreak in 2003 and they have a vaccination for that now, he arranged for it to be sent to China (very difficult, involved chartering an aircraft by the Chinese government and getting both Canadian and Chinese governments to agree) for a test run on humans. No one had been interested in it until now but hopefully in a few months time they will have the first test results back. It takes so bloody long on these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really tough. And, we were in the Vancouver Airport last week as well, although the diagnosed California case (unknown origin) is several blocks from my house. There's so much anxiety & stress caused by these situations. Hoping it's resolved as quickly as possible.

      Delete
  2. I do remember your door fiasco. Nice to have behind you. I almost bought a very nice, second hand Bob Mackie bag at Goodwill. Only $8, but then I realized I have several totes and the whole reason I don't use them is a back pack is more comfortable for me. $8 saved even though the bag was nice. That was a several weeks ago and don't miss that I passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - sometimes just skipping means not looking back, which reminds us we often don't need things!

      Delete