Friday, March 10, 2023

Frugal Friday

 It's been another week! 

Saving on things we buy

  • On a very busy day, I redeemed a free 1/2 sandwich offer for lunch at Panera
  • Used a $20 grocery store reward to pick up: three cases of sparkling water, two package of fruit snacks (airport/road trip snacks - splurge), and three containers of juice for Nick's smoothies. I spent $6 out of pocket, and earned a little back via Fetch (Bubly offer). 
  • Used a belated birthday offer from Chipotle to get a free chip & guac (for Sam), when I took him to dinner one night. I used a gift card to pay for our dinner. 

Earning money

  • Sold an (empty) box for Airpods, which was Nick's Christmas gift last year. It still blows my mind that people will pay for the boxes, but I guess it increase the resale value of the item they are selling, to have the box. 
  • M & I received the remainder of our 2022 bonus this week. I put mine in the boys college accounts, and savings. He is using his for taxes. Fun. ;-) 

Avoiding spending

  • Picked up a box of oatmeal & an extra watch band/charger (for my fitness class) via Buy Nothing
  • Another neighbor was giving away avocados (we have lots of citrus fruit & avocado trees here), so I picked up a bag

Eating what we have

  • We don't keep bread on hand (typically) & I have a few jams/jellies open & in the fridge. We rarely use them, so I've been adding a bit of jelly to Nick's smoothies. I finished off the blueberry jelly this week, and will start working through the strawberry jelly next. 
  • I also used a container of pureed pumpkin (from when I picked up a few free pumpkins at the store, after Halloween) & made pumpkin muffins. 
  • Ate lots of leftovers during the week. 
  • Sam & I both had leftover Chipotle for a second dinner, and I have just enough for a lunch. The person making our food was clearly new, and very generous with the toppings. ;-) 

For others

  • Gave away a few items on Buy Nothing, volunteered for a citizenship project at work, and helped at the school
What about you? Any frugal wins to share?

8 comments:

  1. I would love the bag of avocados. No such luck around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was giving away more this week. Her trees are crazy. I'd love one!

      Delete
  2. You had a lovely frugal week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was nice of the Chipotle employee. 😂 using up your jams and jellies in smoothies is a great way to use them up. I like to use them in plain yogurt too to give it some flavor. Sounds like you had a good frugal week. I hope this week is good for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her manager was making really funny faces as he was watching.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like another good week! Do you enjoy the Bubly water? My friend suggested that. I only like the Lacroix citrus flavors. I might have to try the Bubly sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a variety of flavors, & prefer the Bubly berry & watermelon. I also drink La Croix (they have it at work) & prefer the beach plum. If you find a good deal on the Bubly (sometimes included in soda promos, as they are owned by Coke or Pepsi), they might be worth trying.

      Delete