Friday, May 12, 2023

Frugal Friday

 It's been a super crazy busy work week (more on that in a future post), and I leave for Japan on Sunday, so trying to wrap everything up before I go. A few frugal wins to share. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I occasionally treat myself to lunch out on Fridays, as I fast until my workout class (ends at 1 pm) & I'm then famished on the way home. I have a gift card to Panera, so that's my occasional stop. They were having a BOGO50% off sandwich sale, so I picked up a sandwich for Sam as well. He's done early on Fridays & was ever so excited to have a sandwich for lunch. 
  • Our local grocery store is doing some sort of ticket redemption contest, if you happen to buy certain items. I don't pay attention to that when purchasing, but ended up with three tickets. Took them home, and earned $1, which applied to my store reward account. 

Earning money

  • Helped the boys with paperwork for their summer jobs. 

Avoiding spending

  • Now that the boys have their license, it's tempting to not go to the warmups of their soccer games (an hour ahead of kickoff). However, that means bringing two cars to the games, or carpooling. I've tried hard to just ride along to the warmups, and bring my Kindle to read, while they practice. I do enjoy watching the games (well, I could have done without the giant downpour last Saturday, when I'd forgotten my umbrella, because it was May, and the forecast didn't call for rain), so I still want to attend when possible.

Eating what we have

  • Found some gifted popcorn in the pantry that was expired, so unfortunately had to toss that.
  • Made protein balls out of oatmeal packets I was given off of Buy Nothing. Combined with crystalized honey (I warmed it in the microwave first), peanut butter, protein powder, and then you typically throw in a dash of chocolate chips. I had a few Trader Joes mini chocolates, from an Easter bag, so used those instead. The oatmeal was flavored (chocolate & sea salt) & I really like the way it changed the flavor of the protein balls. They are for Sam, so hopefully he enjoys them as well.
  • Used tomatoes (frozen before we left for Dubai) in a spaghetti sauce, to go with meatballs for dinner one night. For the same dinner, defrosted part of a baguette & turned that into garlic bread. 
  • We haven't been eating much pasta (well, I try to avoid a lot of carbs, but for a while, the boys were going through a crazy amount), so we have quite a bit lingering in the pantry. That was part of the inspiration for spaghetti & meatballs this week (used one open pack of noodles, and part of a second opened pack). I also made the boys pasta for lunch one day, using part of a box of smaller shaped noodles. 
  • Cleaned our pantry, gave away a few things on Buy Nothing that we likely won't eat before they expire. Everything is much more organized, & easy to find. 
  • Made Nick several grilled cheese sandwiches, using leftover naan bread
  • I didn't get a chance to make the last of my delivery meals, but I was able to use up all of the ingredients in other recipes, and froze the protein. 

For others:

  • I've continued to give away a lot to my neighbors, via Buy Nothing.
  • Made a large donation to Goodwill
What about you? Any wins to share?

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand about the crazy work week. I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip to Japan and back I like to do sandwiches or bagged salads also also bc they are both so easy. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for next week to be over, already. It will be my last international work trip, as I keep telling myself.

      Delete
    2. That is wonderful!!! I figure you are tired, mentally, physically from the long trips, and emotionally. Onward to the next life adventures with the kids getting ready for college!! Cindy in the South

      Delete
  2. I’ve done that with delivered meals too, use up the ingredients making other things. It works for us. 😊 That was sweet Sam being so happy to have a sandwich from Panera. The protein balls sound interesting. I’ve been wanting to make some with dates. I’ll have to see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and safe travels to Japan and back home.

    ReplyDelete