Saturday, May 20, 2023

Jet lag Saturday

I'm back from a very short trip to Tokyo (Sunday-Friday) & feeling all of the jet lag. I got in yesterday, around lunch time. I slept for close to 12 hours last night, but it's still not enough to make up for lost sleep. I estimate that I typically sleep a total of 48 hours in six nights, and over the trip, got about 25 hours. My body is also not loving the time changes, and I've had some pretty intense headaches.

In good news, this was my last work trip, and things are well in motion for my departure, due to some other work changes on the horizon. My current planned last day is Friday, 9/1, but there may be some wiggle room on either side. I'm heading to France with my sister & BFF at the end of September, to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday, and we can also celebrate my retirement. 

What comes next? I'm unsure, and plan to do something at least part-time, but not have to worry about how much it pays. I also think it's unlikely to ever take a big career job again, but who knows? Maybe I'll be bored in a few years, and motivated to change. Some of my future choices will be dependent upon the boys college costs, so we need to get that sorted out over the next few years & see where we land & how much college ends up being. It's hard to predict at the moment, and we do have a substantial amount saved. We plan to cash flow the rest. 

I like planning, so I'm expecting to get more concrete about my plans (at least through the end of 2023) soon. Expect more updates on this front!

Other than recovering from jet lag, what else is happening today (and, realistically, part of tomorrow)?

  • I'm attending a workout class this morning, which I'm confident will kick my butt, as I'm not feeling very energetic
  • The house is an absolute wreck, so I need to vacuum, clean the bathrooms, dust & clean the kitchen
  • Nick has tennis volunteering
  • I need to catch up on laundry
  • I also need to plan for the week ahead, and deal with some schedule changes. There's a lot of work drama on the horizon, & I need to ensure my schedule is ready to deal with a bunch of last minute incoming meetings.
  • Plan the menu
  • Catch up on the budget
  • Organize all of my receipts for my expense report
  • Work in the yard
  • Go to the grocery store
What about you? What are you up to today? Best jet lag tip? I find that being in the sun is the best way to try & reset your body clock.

3 comments:

  1. Your retirement sounds exciting! Best wishes!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear more about your retirement plans and goals. I've been in healthcare for 29 years and am looking forward to doing something different in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for the week and month ahead. It's hard figuring out what to do next in life regardless of a choice or forced change.

    ReplyDelete