Friday, December 29, 2023

Frugal Friday

 It's been a pretty quiet week on the frugal front, but here are a few small wins. 

Saving on things we buy

  • We won a few gift cards during some of our family games over the holidays, so I uploaded those to the various apps, to ensure we don't lose/misplace them before we spend them. 
  • Used a $4 CVS coupon that was expiring to purchase a package of on sale pistachios. I paid $.66 out of pocket.  

Earning money

  • Nothing to report

Avoiding spending

  • We used a lounge access credit at the airport in Portland at a small restaurant (they don't have an actual lounge). After we finished lunch, the waiter let us know we still had a large credit, so we got some protein bars for the road. 
  • M & I were both upgraded to first class on the short flight home, so we pre-selected our free meal options & treated that as our dinner, which we enjoyed with a free cocktail. 
  • Used the Amex gift card for a lunch out, while M & I were on our mini getaway ahead of the holidays. 
  • Picked up a few things we were out of (flour, sriracha, & oat milk) & used the Amex card to cover the cost. 

Eating what we have

  • Defrosted soup to have for lunch one day with a pear I found in the back of the fridge, ate a protein bar from the pantry for breakfast & added a bit of summer sausage (Xmas prize gift) to add some additional protein. This was before we made it to the grocery store, after our trip. 
  • I officially have no bananas in my freezer, and am trying to keep it that way. Made a batch of banana muffins with the overly ripe bananas that weren't eaten before our trip. 

For others

  • Made a last minute food bank donation, to round out our contributions for the year, as they were having a 4x match. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

2 comments:

  1. How nice to have won gift cards from your Christmas family games. I love that idea! That was great that they had a 4x match for the food bank. Sounds like a good week for you. I hope this coming up week is also good for you as well as 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of bogo deals at Winn Dixie and got items needed. I have really reduced my pantry this year and was out of a lot of things like ketup, mustard, tomato soup, spaghetti sauce,
    ground beef, taco shells, etc. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete