Tuesday, December 23, 2014

2014 Goals, in Review


So, how about those 2014 goals? ;-) Well, I'm going to consider this year marginally successful. I rocked out my fitness goals for the first six months of the year, and then things fell apart the second half of the year. My work responsibilities increased dramatically, my stress increased, & I had less time to work out.


  1. Lose 10 pounds, bringing my weight to 135. I've really struggled to lose at my current weight & activity level, so I need to spend some time considering what's necessary to drop these last (very stubborn) 10 pounds. After my doctor's appointment & prescription complication, this goal is more important than ever. Time to focus. - Well, I lost 8 pounds, and then gained it all back. :-( 
  2. Continue tracking my food/exercise every day in My Fitness Pal. This has been tremendously helpful. - Yes!
  3. Improve my fitness by doing the following:
    1. Complete 11,000 minutes of cardio. - The year isn't over yet, but I'm at 9551. I'm clearly not going to make it. I'm going to bust my buns to hit 10,000, but it's going to be tricky. 
    2. Complete 100 strength workouts. - I'm at 76. Shooting for 80 by the end of the year. 
    3. Complete 75 stretching workouts. - I'm at 32. Aiming for 35 by ear end. 
  4. Choose a half marathon to train for, and complete it! Sometime this spring. - YES!!! I DID IT! :-) 
  5. Have one date night per month with M. - Yes!! 
  6. Plan one social/friend activity per month. - Yes!!
  7. Finalize will/guardianship. - This one was on the to yearly goals for multiple years, and I can finally check it off! :-) 
  8. Save $50,000 towards a downpayment for a house in California. - No. We opted not to sell any of our stock, and had a bunch of tax drama to deal with. However, the money is still in our stock, ready for whatever we decide on the housing front. 
  9. Put $5,000 in boys college accounts. - No. We haven't figured out how we're going to save (we likely are going to switch plans). We're going to meet with a financial planner in January, so we'll double up on our contributions in 2015. We did contribute $1200 before we decided to hold. 
  10. Pay $30,000 towards our mortgage principal(s). - Oh, we crushed this! We paid off $50,900!!! 
  11. Figure out a plan for vacation house. - We listed our house, and had it on the market for six months. We didn't get one offer. The market on the coast is still very unstable. We don't need the money, and it wouldn't have been a financially prudent idea to sell. We also love the house, so would prefer to hold & re-evaluate in a few years. 
  12. Track our all of our spending, stick to our budget, and create monthly spending reports. - Well, not really. I'll get the financial part of our 2015 reporting. We're in good shape, but there were definitely areas that need improvement. :-) 
  13. Plan an adult only vacation with M! - Yes! We did two long weekends. One to Napa, and the other to Las Vegas. It was exactly what we needed. :-) 
  14. Likely most importantly, figure out the work/life balance, even if it means finding a new job. Money isn't worth the current schedule. - Enormous fail. The work got harder. The good news is, it's even more of a motivation to solve this in 2015! 

Okay, so that's a grand total of 8 successes, 4 partial wins, and 4 fails. That's about my standard mix of results - I like to aim high, even if it means that I have failures. What about you? How do you set up your goals? How did you do in 2014? 


No comments:

Post a Comment