Sunday, December 21, 2014

The highs and lows

The first half of yesterday was a fantastic day. It didn't end that way, so I'll hit the highlights.

All of the good things about yesterday, because I'm having a hard time seeing the positives right now:
  • We returned a requested party item for Nick's school party (they ended up not needing it), and I mentioned to the boys that they could share the money for their savings account. They've both been very interested in charity lately, so they chose to donate the money to a food bank.
  • We also went through our pantry (at the boys request) & found a bunch of non-perishables to donate.
  • We've been talking about doing good deeds a lot at home, so when we got the grocery store & saw two carts blocking the parking spots, the boys got out (unasked) and moved them. When we were returning to our car, both boys noticed that someone was then parked in one of the freed spots, and they were both happy that someone was having an easier day because of their nice deed.
  • A remote controlled car (a new gift) ran over my holiday cardamom bread that I was double proofing, and it now has tire prints on it. (I had a towel over it, so there was no dirt transferred). I'm counting this as something good, because M & I laughed for quite a while over the bread and it's now very interesting shape. This is my only contribution to my family's holiday celebration (we also send money & pay for the festive drinks that M will make, but since we fly, it's hard to prep any other food) & it's now pretty funny. ;-)
  • I also did yoga and felt amazing afterward.
  • M made lemon drops, & they were just about the best drink I've ever had.
  • M also made my favorite rice dish, to accompany some leftover beef kebabs we had.
  • We ended up with two unexpected dinner guests (our neighbor girls), and giving their parents (both are super busy doctors) an unplanned couple of hours alone felt pretty great. The girls were very fun and loved the rice & kebabs.

And, just as the day was coming to a close, I had a bad feeling about my good friend. She's someone that I worked with for years, and she's about the most positive, upbeat person you could imagine. We used to travel together quite a bit for work, so we've spent lots of time together & she's like the brightest ray of light in the room. She also has lupus, so when I was first diagnosed,  she was the one giving me pep talks, cheering me up, talking to me about treatment options, etc.

Lupus increases the risk of (some types of) cancer, and she was diagnosed about six months ago. Last week, she found out that it was terminal. She's 42 years old, and my heart is broken for her. It's so unexplainably sad. A few friends are planning a little three day trip to celebrate her birthday in January, and I'm going to try & make it for one night. I would love to see her.

Life is too short. What a reminder to take each day as it comes, make the most of it, and focus on living in a way that makes you proud. 

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your friend. That truly sucks. Definitely try and make it to her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's just so hard to wrap your head around, and is so incredibly unfair. I know these things are never fair, but . . . ahhh, having a hard time dealing with the news.

      I'm absolutely going to make it happen, if she's up for it.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you are raising a couple of kind & considerate young men. :)

    I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The boys definitely have their moments. :-)

      Delete
  3. I will never understand why terrible things happen to good people. I'm sorry for your friend. 42 is so young...

    Your boys sound like good little guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 42 is just way too young. It's so upsetting to think about. It is such a reminder that we have no idea what life holds for us.

      The boys are fun - they have moments where they understand giving & sharing, and moments when . . . they don't. ;-)

      Delete