Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year, and Tales from the Grocery Store

I hope everyone has a safe, happy & fabulous New Year's Eve. I'm picking the boys up at the airport, and we'll have a little celebration at home, with appetizers, fancy drinks (sparkling lemonade for the kids, champagne for the adults) & some sort of a dance party or board games. Should be fun!

I made the final grocery trip of the year yesterday, and here's what we bought. I used to track our grocery spending often and found it a helpful tool, so I'll try to get back to that in 2015.

I spent a grand total of $134.06 (on the groceries. I also bought Sam a pair of Adidas pants for indoor soccer, but that went into another budget category).


  • We spent $22.97 on ground beef
  • $26.77 on canned goods, which included popcorn (to make at home), canned black beans, and olives
  • $12.68 on dairy (eggs & milk)
  • $4.99 on baguette bread for our appetizer tonight
  • $66.65 on produce, including the following:
    • Eight jumbo pomegranates
    • Two bunches of bananas
    • Six English cucumbers
    • A bag of cauliflower
    • A giant container of mushrooms
    • A bag of broccoli
    • A bag of carrots
    • Pears
    • One honeydew melon
    • Organic celery hearts (meant to grab the plain ones, as these were not as fresh & more expensive. Drat)
    • Cranberries
    • Apples
    • Roma tomatoes


Produce took up 50% of our spending, which is pretty much where we're usually at. How about you? How much do you typically spend per category at the grocery store? Any fun New Year's Eve plans? 

3 comments:

  1. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my total grocery expenditures - I think I'd give up all together if I tried to track by category! :)

    Sounds like a nice little celebration at home tonight! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I also bought Sam a pair of Adidas pants for indoor soccer, but that went into another budget category). We spent $22.97 on ground beef ... qadidaspants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete