Friday, June 30, 2017

Frugal Friday - the vacation edition

It's been such a mellow week - I'm loving it! M arrived on Wednesday, and we've been flying kites, hanging out on the patio, and of course, going to the grocery store an hour away to stock up. For about half of next week, we will be feeding 10 people, so our fridge is very full. :-) My parents & sister will bring things to share, but they typically host & plan all events when I fly in, so this is my chance to host here at the beach.

Here are a few of the frugal things we've done over the past week or so.



  • $40 credit on Hawaii flights (again!), as the flight prices dropped another time. They are now only $166/per person. A steal!
  • Remembered to cash in my grocery store reward points before they expired. I only had $2, but used it towards a $2.99 clearance package of ant bombs, because. . . ants apparently love this hot weather & have decided to come inside.
  • Renewed all of my library books before we left on vacation, and picked up a few extra. I used to buy books for trips, but now I use the library for free. (or, for the occasional $.50 fine, as it sometimes happens). 
  • Used a $4 off of $20 Rite Aid coupon to pick up mouthwash.
  • Bought $150 of gift cards at Rite Aid, earning $20 in rewards. These are for places we are regulars at (i.e. home improvement stores)
  • Bought $8 worth of salad ingredients at the produce stand before I left town. I'm hoping that by having fresh ingredients on hand, M will be inclined to eat in while I'm away. :)
  • While on vacation, I created a detailed menu plan (more important when you're not near your standard fridge, stocked with backup & fill in ingredients) & shopping list.
  • Other than $10 for lunch at the Costco food court, haven't eaten out at all on our vacation, and don't plan to. 
That's it for us. I'll have a house update again over the next few days. These buyers have been. . . terrible. I'll leave it at that & cross my fingers for a more positive update by the end of the weekend.

What about you? Any big frugal wins? 

4 comments:

  1. No frugal wins other than too sick to go anywhere to buy anything! Which works. I started going to the library a few years ago and HATE to buy books unless I know I will read it over and over. Oh, well, I buy for homeschool as well. Funny about the fines - I have a $.40 one waiting to be paid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great vacation! Hope things get easier with the house sell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased for you that the week is goig so well. What a deal on the airfare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon will stop the ants from coming into the house. Seriously. Just put it down wherever they're entering. The only time this method fails me is when the cats start playing with the cinnamon sticks and move them. :-)

    ReplyDelete