Friday, August 16, 2019

Frugal Friday

The big news is that I've hit the $1,000 selling mark on eBay for the past 60 days. I'm so excited, because I'm making money (particularly while not getting paid) & getting junk we don't need out of the house. Win/win! I've made $1250 in 60 days!!

Saving on things we buy:

  • Bought gift cards for stores we use for kids clothing shopping. Earned a $40 gift card to our local grocery store. I love these offers, and keep the store gift cards in my wallet. When the boys need something, the gift cards are there & ready. I did the same with a Rite Aid offer, and earned $30 in store credit
  • Used a 30% off Rite Aid coupon, and rewards to pick up back to school snacks & a few supplies for the kids. 
  • I also bought Uber gift cards, earning $10 in credit. We use Uber in place of airport parking, as it's cheaper. If we don't use it for personal travel, I use it for work travel (hopefully not too much of that in the future) & get reimbursed. 
  • Saved $1 by digging around & finding a granola bar coupon I knew I had somewhere in my purse while buying back to school snacks. Sure enough, I did. Likewise, bought the boys ice cream bars & picked up two boxes, so I could use a $1 off coupon. With the weather so hot & the boys having friends over, we'll go through this in no time


Earning money:

  • Sold an expensive Tumi bag M received as a prize. Earned $185 on eBay. Woohoo!!! Split the money between college funds & mortgage pay down. 
  • Found a dime outside of Rite Aid
  • Listed a bunch of new things on eBay, & sold a few other items. I sold 6 items on eBay yesterday alone. The sales are hot right now, for whatever reason.
  • Participated in a consumer focus survey (invited via Swagbucks). Earned & redeemed a $25 Amazon gift card. It was actually a $37 focus group, so I will wait for the next discounted Amazon offer to roll around before redeeming the rest.


Avoiding purchases/spending:

  • I met a friend for lunch last week. I provided some coaching & guidance on a tricky work situation, and she bought me an unexpected lunch as a thank you. I took home leftovers, as the meal was huge. 
  • We were all craving Mexican food on Saturday, & came really close to going out for dinner. Likely it would have been $80+ for the four of us, even at a moderately priced place. Instead, went to Trader Joes & spent $17 on groceries. Not totally frugal (could have made do with the leftovers in the fridge), but we made excellent carnitas nachos. I quickly defrosted carnitas from the freezer, and added the purchased chips, sour cream, pico de gallo & guacamole. Yum! Everyone was thrilled. 
  • To mail the bag mentioned above, I could not find a box big enough to hold it. At the kids soccer game, I noticed a box sitting by the garbage bin. I decided to take it home & see if it worked. If not, I'd planned to recycle it. It was the perfect fit. Saved something from the garbage, and avoided the cost of a new box!
  • Picked a few more things out of the garden. It's been a rough year with the squirrels, so we haven't had much success. We did manage to get a tomato, strawberry, and plenty of basil this week.
  • Made lunch from things around the house. I started with salad as a base, and would add things like, a scoop of the leftover guacamole from nachos, leftover chicken from the boys lunches, etc. Every day was different, and they were all good.
  • Repurposed a couple of Amazon shipping envelopes for eBay sales.
  • Arranged for a free USPS pickup for a few eBay sales, saving a trip to the post office



What about you? Any frugal wins for the week?

6 comments:

  1. Lots of nice savings there! I am with you on the lunch menu. Whatever is left over is what I eat. It is rarely exactly what I want, but it is here and cooked so it becomes lunch for me. Some days are stranger than others though like a bowl of lettuce and some leftover grilled peppers and onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally - some days are great, other days are. . . less than awesome :-)

      Delete
  2. As much as I dislike falling back on giving gift cards as presents, my older kids, especially my DD loves receiving them. I love purchasing them at Rite Aid and earning Bonus Cash!
    No frugal wins here. In fact, it was a bust. I actually went out with friends, and spent some money on a meal out. I would have been happy to avoid the eating out part, but I sure did enjoy meeting up with these women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy from a gift giving perspective. I think there are seasons where they are really appreciated in kids lives!

      Delete
  3. Good for you on the savings. Every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize. Sometimes it veers off a little bit. ;-)

      Delete