Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Travel credit + gift card inventory

 I realized that we are sitting on a ton of travel credit, gift cards, vouchers, etc. I was worried about losing them, letting them expire, etc, so I spent some time organizing everything in my spreadsheet, and once I added up the total, I was shocked by how much we had. 

How did we get so much? We've had a few trips where we've canceled/change the date/switched to another airline, so those result in travel credit. This adds up quickly when you have multiple passengers. We also have vouchers for delayed/canceled flights. And, M has been picking up Alaska & Southwest gift cards, when they are available at Costco. 

All told, we have $7,400 of gift cards/vouchers! That's pretty crazy. $3068 is for Southwest, $2837 for Alaska, and we also have a large Amex rewards card that we were given, and have $1260 on that. The rest are just small amounts for Starbucks, Chipotle, Subway, etc. Now that we've added it up, it will be much easier for me to remember to use it all, and I've gone through & organized the Southwest ones (we have a bunch of small credits, and you need codes for each one), so they should be quick to use up & track. 

While I was working on that, I decided to update our tracker for our airline & hotel rewards programs for all four of us, and apply a value ratio (you can find these online) to see how much we have across each program. It's good to track, because the value of these tend to decline over time (e.g. flights take more miles to book, they increase redemption amounts needed for hotel rooms, etc) & found that we have close to $12k in value there. I was also very surprised by this. I tend to not book using rewards, as trips where you use miles or points don't accrue status, and in the last couple of years, I've been focused more on ensuring I was maximizing status offers from work, not on the redemption side. This was a good reminder to start using those up. The boys also have a decent amount of miles, which will be helpful for trips home from college, etc, assuming they aren't close by. 

I feel much more organized, now having everything tracked in a spreadsheet & at the ready when we are working on our 2024 travel plans. This should also help us maximize our reward & redemption, and minimize our spending. 

Do you track things like this? Are you typically surprised by the value? 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great deal of cash for reward miles and such. We don't have that here (getting the cards that do so is expensive here in Canada after the first year).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a spreadsheet tracking our points in each program along with notes about expiry etc. However I am gungho these days about using points at every opportunity vs cash as points redemptions constantly are increasing. We only redeem for business or first as that's what we buy. We assign zero value to the points because they can't be legally sold and are depreciating rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that the cost of redemption is going up. We're planning to burn through a bunch of points/miles this year, for college tours.

      Delete
  3. Keeping a spreadsheet is a great idea to keep track of these points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a useful reminder to us, as we do our travel planning.

      Delete
  4. No posts since October 17, an entire week of silence. I am getting worried. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a. Question for you or M. I’m growing saffron and harvested my first four bulbs (twelve threads) today. Hopefully this will continue for a couple of weeks. Anyway what is the best recipe you can think of to use it in. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, good question! I'm impressed with your garden skills! My favorite Persian recipe is this one. https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/lubia-polo-persian-green-bean-rice/

      M also makes his tadiq (rice + crust) with saffron. https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/tahdig-recipe-persian-crispy-rice/

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much. I planted them last year and no harvest. Was expecting to see plant emerge and then flower. In actuality they flower very quickly flower just pops up and you should pull it before opens. It’s fun to have figured it out. ThNks for the recipes. Ill let you know

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You blew me way with how many points you have. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete