The carpet removal/laminate work is supposed to come in just under $2,000. *fingers crossed*. I've been working to rebuild our emergency fund after we paid the big expenses. (and, technically, the carpet work hasn't started, so we've only paid half.) As of today's payday, I was able to replenish the emergency fund a bit, and we're back to $10,000, which is my minimal amount for comfort. My ultimate goal is to have this account at $30,000 by the end of the summer, in anticipation of potential work changes.
How will I get to $30,000, you ask? That's a question I've also been asking myself. ;-) And, how did I come up with $30,000? Well, we own two homes, and M works for a small company. Having a big safety net is the only way I feel comfortable making a change, and I also need to have my 401K loan paid off by that time (currently at $42,000).
In terms of getting to $30,000 by the end of the summer & paying off my 401K loan, here's my plan:
- Standard monthly 401K loan payments between now & the end of the summer - $3,000.
- Stock award vesting at the end of August. Current value = $42,000.
- Estimated bonus (post-tax) = $10,000
- Current emergency fund balance = $10,000
- Payout on vacation days = $5,000
And, on to the weekend! This is the second weekend in a row that M is out of town, & quite frankly, I'm already exhausted. He came home late on Sunday & left Wednesday morning. He's gone until Sunday again. Yikes. Here's what's on the list of things to accomplish this weekend:
- Make homemade zbars.
- Make carrot muffins
- Make banana bread
- Return a bathing suit at the mall that didn't work out.
- Get all Father's Day/birthday stuff for M sorted out.
- Call my dad for Father's Day!
- Karate lessons
- Swimming lessons
- Get in two workouts
- Work in the yard (oh my, is there a lot to do!)
- Figure out menu for the next couple of weeks, & ensure we don't buy too much produce, as we'll all be out of town Monday-Friday of the last week in June.
- Get in one yoga & one pilates workout.
- Having friends over for dinner on Saturday