I used up the last of a sad looking bag of potatoes that we bought for Thanksgiving (yesterday I made pommes frites to go with our steak) today to make a potato soup. I went with this recipe, but made some modifications. I had no celery, so used carrots instead, skipped the sour cream (calories) & green onions (didn't have any). I also pureed the soup at the end, and chopped the potatoes into small pieces & cooked with the carrots/onions. My only change would be that I thought it had a bit too much thyme in it. Although, I was doing like four things at once, and it's totally possible that i put in the wrong amount of time. Sam had it with his lunch, as did I, and it was delicious. Not exactly low calorie, but yummy just the same.
I also made pizza dough for homemade calzones for dinner tonight (can't wait to try them), and chocolate chip cookies for the kids lunches (& I didn't eat any - what a victory! :-))
I also went for a run & lifted weights today (yeah!), but so far no yoga. I may squeeze in a pilates workout after Sam's buddy heads home from a play date.
I've also been organizing! I've done the following organization/cleaning around the house:
- One side of the pantry (the other side was done before the holidays & is still in good shape)
- The tupperware drawer
- My bathroom. Tossed a bunch of stuff, and saved some makeup for my sister. Cleaned & organized.
- My closet. Found 80+ items to donate, and got rid of a bunch of junk that somehow just lurks. I also organized & now everything is much easier to see/find. Let's hope I can make it stick! ;-)
- My drawers. Again, decluttered, regrouped things, organized, & generally just made my stuff easier to find.
I feel like I'm kicking off the month with a good start, which is the right mindset, given that I know it's going to be really hard to go back tomorrow.
And, without further ado, here are my goals for the month of January. For a recap, my 2016 goals are here.
- Stick to our budget
- Reach out to new accountant - our old one retired :-((
- Save $1,000
- Work on plans for the boys birthday parties in February
- Do a fun activity with the boys
- Have a date night with M
Fitness (this needs to be a top priority in January, as well as the rest of the year):
- Lose 3 pounds
- Eat 5 servings of fruits & vegetables, 28 of 31 days. I only got 3 & 4, respectively, yesterday & on New Year's Day, so this gives me one extra day of cushion.
- Complete 8 stretching workouts (yoga or pilates)
- Complete 10 strength workouts
- Complete 850 minutes of cardio
- Average 1450 calories/day
- Maximum of one late night/week
- Organize travel schedule for the first half of the year
- Work from home at least one Friday this month
- Read a book
- Try out my new adult coloring book :-)
- Get together with a friend
What about you? Have you set any January goals? Are you excited for the new month & any new challenges?