Wednesday, February 24, 2016

No more babies

With my lupus diagnosis, it's been very difficult to find a safe & effective method of birth control. (Almost all options are off the table for me, and those that are left are not very effective). Given that we're done having babies, and that having a baby/getting pregnant would be a big health risk with my disease, we decided to take permanent measures. Yesterday I had both of my tubes removed. Doing this ensures a zero percentage chance of future pregnancy, and also reduces my risk of some types of cancer that I'm at an elevated risk for.

The surgery was yesterday at noon, and I'm almost feeling human again. The worst part is the no water for 12 hours leading up to the surgery! I drink a lot of water throughout the day, so my body was not loving that rule. I also threw up a few times immediately after surgery, so I hung around in recovery until they were sure that I was feeling better.

I took one of the big pain pills (narcotics) yesterday evening, & am hoping to move to the high dose of ibuprofen instead. I hate the way I feel on narcotics.

That's pretty much it for me. I did send M to the store yesterday for some "sick food." Sad that I didn't think of it & stock up ahead, but you can't think of everything. He got two kinds of soup, crackers, jello & juice. I was starving & asked for the chicken noodle soup. He made it, I took two bites, and had to go lay back down. ;-)

I sure do miss having squeezy babies, but the phase we're in right now is pretty great too. (Minus the surgery. ;-)) So, here's a throwback of the earlier days!


9 comments:

  1. I miss the baby stages too, but there are times you have to do what is right for you. I am also done with the baby stages, too many health risks when I am pregnant, so I had my tubes tied when I had Benjamin. It is the end of a chapter, but the beginning of the rest of the story.

    Good luck with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - it's the end of the chapter thing that I had to think twice about!

      Delete
  2. A big decision but you have two beautiful boys to enjoy and your health is important to preserve for them and you and your husband. Hope you mend up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm starting to feel almost human again. ;-)

      Delete
  3. My dh had a vasectomy right after my ds was born. I turned 40 and my poor dh was 46.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning 40 made me realize that I was "officially" done. DH would have had a vasectomy, but there was the bonus advantage of decreasing my cancer risk with my surgery, so we opted for that.

      Delete
  4. I hope you feel better soon. I would like to have another baby but my hubby says he's done and I respect that. Rest up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because we both went through phases of wanting a third child. Just never at the same time! So, by the time my husband wanted a third child, I was 100% done. Irony. ;-) Or, probably what's best for our family.

      Delete
  5. That photo is adorable!!! How precious. I think even though you're through with the baby stage your family is so abundantly blessed with the four incredible people currently in it.

    It's nice to hear you're doing much better now; "feeling almost human." :)

    ReplyDelete