Friday, February 16, 2024

Frugal Friday

Grateful I'm done with one large project (senior night), but I'm now spending a crazy amount of time helping my sister with my aunt's finances. It's really challenging, as she has no impulse control (she's special needs) & has always valued living independently. We want to support that of course, but it's clear she's spending well beyond her means. She is asking for help (and, needs it), but will say she isn't going to spend money, and the next day withdraws $200 intended for bills to pay for fast food & trips to WalMart. It's such a challenging situation & not straightforward given the need for help. She wants to turn over the money to us to manage for her, and is cognizant enough to recognize she can't do it. I'm meditating to give me more patience to deal with everything. I think often of my grandmother, who managed all of this with my aunt well into her late 70s. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I used gift cards to buy myself & the teens lunch, after a long run. I eat Subway maybe once/year, but I was absolutely craving it after my ten miler. I used points to offset some of the cost. 

Earning money

  • Sold a race shirt on eBay, earning $10
  • Received a lost property payment from Washington for $46. I filled out the forms what feels like forever ago, so seeing this in the mail was a nice surprise

Avoiding spending

  • I avoided takeout on both the night I was at school & hadn't had time to eat dinner, and on Valentine's Day, when I was unexpectedly pulled into a late meeting at work. 
Eating what we have

  • Ate Super Bowl leftovers for lunches 
  • Defrosted chicken pesto pasta for dinner for myself & Sam (bonus, it was on the freezer/pantry challenge list)
  • Related to the challenge, served the pasta with green beans. I make ours with slivered almonds & parmesan cheese. 

For others

  • Every last spare minute over the last week has been spent on one of two things:
    • Finalizing & running senior night at the school (it was a huge success)
    • Helping take over the finances for my special needs aunt. It's been very, very challenging, but I've made progress & am saving her over $70/month so far, and have found an application for reduced utilities (my dad is taking her for that) & am calling her insurance agent to see how else we can increase the effectiveness of her policy at a lower rate. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

3 comments:

  1. That’s sweet of you to help your aunt. And good thinking on checking into programs to reduce utility bills! I hope in time she will get used to her new way of saving and spending and it will be easier for all. Glad to hear senior night was a success! It’s getting so much closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good that your Aunt recognizes she has a problem with money. Hopefully you and your sister will get everything straightened out.
    I am happy that senior night was successful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that you are dealing with your Aunt's finances. I can relate when we had to do that for our parents. It is time consuming. Kudos on the Washington check. It's always nice to see a surprise like that. Enjoy every minute with your son who will be going to college soon. Time flies!

    ReplyDelete