Friday, March 29, 2024

Frugal Friday

 Can't believe we're almost to April! Here are a few wins for the week, frugal & otherwise.  

Saving on things we buy

  • I combined a Safeway coupon for grapes with a $1 off produce coupon, and bought 2+ lbs of grapes for $2, which was a reasonable deal. I used a gift card for that + on sale pretzels (snack of the week), spending $0 out of pocket. However, my Safeway gift card is down to $.93, so almost out!
  • I converted some spare change that was rattling around in my bags to a $9 Starbucks voucher. Given I've been doing coffee meet ups & networking, happy to have the extra coffee money on hand. 
  • Redeemed the last $20 of my grocery store rewards to pick up 5 cases of sparkling water (it was on sale) + a few other things we needed. All told, I spent $9.60 after my reward.

Earning money

  • M & I received our annual bonuses. I tucked most of the money into a couple of CDs, each ear marked for the boys college expenses. Because we need the money over a short time horizon, investments don't make sense. Luckily, CDs are paying very good rates at the moment. We also maxed out our 401Ks, which is great news for me, as I was able to secure the full company 2024 match ahead of my layoff. 
  • Sold a heart rate monitor on eBay, and made $20, and also sold a poster I received in Japan, earning $16.

Avoiding spending

  • One of my neighbors had free tangerines from their tree out & available for taking, so I picked up four.

Eating what we have

  • Met a coworker for lunch, and she bought me lunch as a "goodbye". There were enough leftovers that I also had a large salad for dinner. 
  • Had a "use it up" smorgasbord lunch on Saturday, mixing several small portions of leftovers for myself, and the boys. It was nice to empty the fridge of lots of little options.
  • Made the boys the last of the corn dogs! One more item checked off of my freezer/pantry clean out.
  • Picked fresh thyme, rosemary & oregano for M's grilled chicken recipe. 
  • Our very lovely neighbor brought over a gift for us, as a thank you to M for all of his work on her car. Totally unnecessary, but she always wants to make sure she thanks us. She purchased a Hickory Farms pack. I've put aside some of the shelf stable meat & cheese, and will take it to Sedona for my hiking trip with my mom. It will make a nice treat to have in the room. 
  • On Monday, I saw we had leftover rice from Sunday's dinner, so I changed up our plan a bit. I took out the Korean beef (freezer) & we had that over rice. For M, I sauteed cabbage & onions in sesame oil, and he had his beef over that.
  • I made Nick pizza rolls for a quick meal before a tennis match, and now am down to just one bag of pizza rolls. Hurrah. 
  • Met another friend for lunch, and took half of my sandwich home. Sam ate that as a quick bite ahead of leaving for a school event.
  • And, I used the last two cans of green beans! This have been on my pantry target list forever. 
  • Had the remainder of the Korean beef over salad greens for lunch one day.

For others

  • Put grocery carts back, picked up trash at the school tennis match, & started on my volunteer project for Nick's soccer club
What about you? Any wins to share? 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you had a really good frugal week, lots of great wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belinda! I have more time to think about frugality lately, I suppose

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on getting the max contribution before the layoff. I'll need to time mine before my planned retirement to add to my plan. I'm hoping to defer taking out a bit, but if not, it's at least more cash to access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also got my full employer match, which was a good chunk of money, so I'm really happy I'd set up the bonus to max out my 401K. Very well timed, given my end date.

      Delete
  3. I am with Sam on getting your 401 maxed before the layoff. That is one huge win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also got the full employee match, which was a pretty big chunk of change, so I'm doubly excited!

      Delete