Thursday, March 28, 2024

New routine

It's been four weeks since I've been "funemployed", and I've been trying out a new routine. I'm a big fan of structure & I knew that the sudden change from an overly structured day (way too much to do) to my new normal would be a big adjustment. I've had a list of things I want to do daily, some of which I've been doing for a long time, others I added in during COVID WFH, and still others that I've always wanted to consistently practice, but have come & gone based on my schedule.

My current daily routine is as follows:

  • Coffee + catching up on blogs, bills, etc
  • Journaling + 3 things I'm grateful for
  • Farsi lesson (I use an app for this)
  • Meditation
  • Working out (I prefer a class, as it's at a set time & a harder workout than I'd normally do on my own.) 
  • At least one house "chore"
  • Yard work, if it's not raining
  • Career type stuff (working on resume or LinkedIn, sending follow up notes to people who have reached out, researching potential future jobs)
  • Meal prep
Aside from that, other days have other tasks (decluttering, listing things on eBay, etc). 

I find that the journaling is helpful for two reasons. 1) it helps me remember how I felt at any given point. My journal from the first few weeks of COVID lock downs is fascinating! 2) it's a reminder to write down three things I'm grateful for, every day. I'm pretty consistent with it, and feel like it's a good time to remember that there are always things to be happy about, even when things are not going how you'd hoped or anticipated. 

I'm taking Farsi lessons so I can better communicate with M's family. It was really hard to find a good app for learning (many of the more common apps don't offer it as an option), but now that I've found one, I'm in a good groove and feel like I really am picking up more words, which is rewarding. M does still chuckle at my pronunciation. ;-) 

As for the meditation, I attended a class way back through work (maybe 7 years ago) & they shared a lot of the benefits of meditation. I gave it a try & it does help me manage stress. I've been pretty sporadic with it until recently. I've also been taking a free online class via Yale (The Science of Well Being), which I highly recommend, and the class talks about how helpful meditation is, both in the moment, and in the longer term. I've added it consistently back to my routine. I'm currently doing a five minute guided meditation via Headspace (an app), because it's such a low barrier to entry. But, I do want to do longer meditations, as you get additional benefits for a slightly longer time period. But, five minutes is still great, and I'm trying to build the habit. There is plenty of research out there about what happens to your brain when you meditate, but for me personally, it gives me more patience, and helps me live more in the moment. Both of which are things I'm working on. 

Working out has been a sanity saver for me at many points in my life, but particularly now. It really helps me manage my stress level, and I also really like the structure & the routine of a class schedule, a commitment, & getting out to see other people. It's good for your health, of course, but for me, it's really good for my mental health. As with everything, people have to experiment to see what works for them (physically), and what they enjoy the most, because sticking with a workout routine isn't going to happen unless you like the activity. 

I both love & hate yard work. Our yard has many, many types of plants from the former owners. Because there are so many varieties, it's a never ending task of weeding, picking up leaves, trimming, etc. It's much more high maintenance than I would ever choose in a million years. But, I do enjoy being outside & getting into the flow, so to speak. M & I have discussed many times, and we could each spend an hour outside working in the yard every day, and it would never be "done". Always too much to do!

Hope that was helpful, and I'd love to hear more about your daily habits!

7 comments:

  1. Maybe it's time to cull those former owners plants you really don't care for. It would cut down on yard chores and might feel empowering? We have a pair of pampas grass plants flanking the end of our driveway that were planted 6 years ago by the original owners. Nobody ever kept it in check/pruned it so it is an unsightly mess. We need to go to war with those plants and hack them back. This is considered an invasive species 7 miles away in Texas. The owner also brought a small cactus from Texas and planted it here. It's really out of place here(not desert conditions)so that might be leaving if I ever have that much time on my hands to deal with it.
    And don't get me started on the two rose bushes that were planted right against the house by them! Planting something that gets so big right up on a house is a no-no no matter where you live. We are constantly having to deeply prune it back as you can't use the handrail on the front steps to get up on the porch without fear of being "thorned" to death by it's branches. lol
    But all this yard chaos kind of takes your attention away from all the mudbug tubes and fire ant hills in the rest of the "yard". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we do anything with the yard, we will go full drought resistant. There is a grant for part of it, and I'd also just love the reduced maintenance. It's one of those projects where doing part of it doesn't make sense, and we'd need to go whole hog. I'm not quite there yet. We are also considering selling & moving in 2025/2026, so would need to think about resale value. If we do decide to move, we'd pay to have the yard cleaned up & maintained while we have it on the market.

      Delete
  2. I feel you on the yard, but we did it to ourselves by not minding seed disbursement resulting in unwanted growth. I know when I retire, I'll need an order to my days that doesn't involve screen time more than now. I am trying to be more intentional now about screen time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to keep an eye on screen time. I'm with you - I wanted to make sure I was intentional with all of this new & unexpected free time. - HP

      Delete
  3. When we moved into this house there was 18 trees in the yard as well as plants that we did not enjoy. The first couple of years was us getting rid of trees that took up way too much space, getting a veggie garden started and planting things that we enjoy.

    I always wake up and mention to myself what I am grateful for...Journaling is a great way of remembering.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lot of trees! We have some gorgeous ones (mini plum trees?), but the leaves are wild. We will probably keep them, because they are truly gorgeous when blossoming, but they are not a small amount of work to maintain. - HP

      Delete
  4. Hawaii Planner, you mentioned reading blogs as part of your morning routine. Do you have favorites that you would be willing to share with us readers?

    ReplyDelete