Friday, March 8, 2024

Frugal Friday

It wasn't much of a frugal week, as I was out of town Friday-Tuesday on a girls trip for the half marathon. Here are a few wins we had.

Saving on things we buy:

  • I noticed that I was charged for a one night destination fee (supposed to be included in the rate) & called to have it waived ($23.05 back) 
  • Used a Fetch gift card to pick up Easter treats at CVS. There was a couple of dollars left on the gift card, so they gave me that back as cash. 

Earning money

  • I managed to submit a gym reimbursement on Wednesday, not knowing I'd be laid off that evening. I just saw that it popped up as approved, so I supposed I earned $35 or whatever by filling out the form. 

Avoiding spending

  • Used the last of the Amex gift card to pick up some lunch fixings to keep on hand (I've been eating for free at work for the last 10 years). 
  • I was also able to use Hyatt points to cover two nights of our hotel. I have status at the Hyatt, so we got a very fancy free breakfast every morning, and then skipped lunch. The food was fabulous. 
  • I was going to pick up inexpensive gloves at Target for the race (I didn't pack mine, and realized how cold it would be once we got there), but they were handing out gloves at packet pickup. 
  • Cancelled our Alaska Airlines credit card, as I'm not a fan of their change policies. You get a companion fare to use yearly, which largely offsets the cost of the card. However, if you change a flight booked with the companion fare, you lose the discount entirely. The last few years, we've needed to change our flights, resulting in a loss of the discount. I also have better travel credit cards, and am looking to streamline. Saved $95 by cancelling. 
  • Paused Nick's gym membership, as he's currently playing two sports
  • Picked up some freebie snacks at the half marathon, and brought those home for the boys

Eating what we have

  • Used naan bread from the freezer to make gyros for Sam, and grilled cheese sandwiches for Nick
  • Dug buns out of the freezer to make chicken patty sandwiches, for a quick dinner between events
  • Used two cans of coconut milk (one of my targets for the pantry cleanup) to make a chicken peanut dish. 

For others

  • Thanked all of the volunteers at the race last weekend (it was super cold & chilly)
  • Extended a lot of patience when things went wrong at various points. Went above & beyond to thank the people involved, assume best intent, etc.
  • Helped a couple of teens at the race.
  • Continue to provide support to special needs aunt on her finances, including negotiating bills, setting up autopay, tracking down a missed payment, etc. 
What about you? Any wins to share? 

6 comments:

  1. I've really buckled down on using up stuff in the house, food and household. I have my sister over semi regularly for dinner. This week she brought a pizza from a kids fundraiser and we had that, plus both lunch the next day from it. My two splurges were going out for my sister's last work day celebration dinner, and meeting my daughter and roommate for a show choir competition. That was pricey as both admission and a simple dinner cost $30, but it defeats the host schools costs and I believe in supporting an activity that my daughter enjoyed so much in her highschool years. You remind me I have $4 CVS reward on anything to use by tomorrow. It's in route to the library, where I'll pick up this months book club read for free, so no wasted mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about to be put under anesthesia for dental surgery so I suppose I will be saving on lots of meals this week. Soup will be the meal of choice for the next few days at least. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, here's hoping your dental surgery turns out aok and you are eating solid foods again very soon

      Delete
  3. Not many wins this week, mostly lots of medical frustrations and that's not even including all the Neurology stuff. sigh. I would recommend nobody get old and have to deal with this junk. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not many wins here as I've been down with influenza a all week and am off work until Monday per doc orders. Jacob was also sick for 2 days and Rebeccas been sick since yesterday. Thankfully we had some stuff to get us through and 2 different friends kindly dropped off chicken soup and some groceries to us. Having the flu stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I have actually managed to inventory the pantry, I know more of what I need to use up, and use up quickly. I also know what I am low on and will make a list that I will keep close and if I find items from there on sale (not in the sale flyers) I will definitely pick up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete