Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Approach to the holidays this year

Our holidays have remained the same over the past few years, and we really enjoy our traditions. We typically fly to Portland a few nights early, and my parents meet us at the airport and pick up the teens for an early version of "Nana & Papa Camp - holiday edition". M & I have two nights in a cute location nearby & that's our gift to each other. It's so lovely & relaxing. My sister lives close by, so I'm also hoping we can meet up for a workout on one of the days I'm in town. 

From there, we all head to my parents house (Christmas Eve) & relax & have fun, helping with meal prep. M usually makes prime rib + some sides. We don't exchange gifts, but we do play the Saran wrap game, which is always a lot of fun. Everyone contributes a few gift cards, which makes everything easy. 

When we get home from Christmas, we will head to Lake Tahoe & ski for a few days over New Years - one of Nick's favorite parts of the holidays. 

For Sam in particular this year, his gift list is primarily about things he needs for college: a backpack, a rain jacket (neither of the boys own one) & a winter jacket (also doesn't own this - his thickest "jacket" is a hoodie). We have such moderate weather, but given his current college locations, he will definitely need other jacket options. He also wants cologne, because he's a teen boy. ;-)

Nick's list is similar, although he did ask for 23 & Me, because he's fascinated by it. He has a hoodie, cologne, & pajamas on his list. 

I've wrapped up quite a bit of shopping already, and am looking forward to getting basically everything done before I leave for an extra long trip to Tokyo on Tuesday. 

What about you? Have you evolved your holidays over the past few years? Any fun new (or old) traditions to recommend?

9 comments:

  1. Lovely traditions. We haven't really changed our traditions much...except now that the kids are much older, the Advent Calendars get filled when I wake up, rather than after the kids go to bed. My kids seem to be digging in to the traditions more than ever now that they are older. We do exchange gifts, as I love to wrap, and set them out on Christmas Eve after everyone is in bed, but we aren't much for big ticket gifts, as my kids have never really needed anything. The big kick is Christmas thrift-shopping to find the perfect kid for Dad or sibling. (My kids have no compunction about thrifted, used or re-gifted items, in fact, it thrills them.) Gifts are mostly things like socks, shampoo, new running shoes, and the perfect item found at the thrift shop. (Daughter's is a Wedgwood jasperware trinket box Boy-With-A-Plan found to add to her recently started collection, to give you and idea.) Basically, we all tend to stay close to the hearth during the holiday season, and "watch the candles burn," which is what my kids used to call the pre and post-dinner holiday season evening time. Regardless of tradition enjoy yourself, and safe travels, and peace on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love these traditions! I feel so grateful to get the time with my parents & sister, and each year feels like a gift to get to spend the holidays with them + M & the boys. I already know things will change next year, when Sam goes to college, but trying to enjoy each milestone that occurs & celebrate each year we have together.

      Delete
  2. I love your holiday plans. Our family has done the same exact thing for Thanksgiving and Christmas all of my 49 years on earth! Haha! I'm sure it will be the same this year as well. We've tossed around traveling and staying somewhere out of town on Christmas, and we just might someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point, we will likely do a holiday in Hawaii, with the family, but we're not quite there yet. I need to save more flight miles & hotel points! :-)

      Delete
  3. I usually fly out West over the holidays between Christmas and New Years to visit grandchildren, but the new work administrator has decided to mess
    that up this year, probably to justify her salary. I am already partially retired so kinda ticked it is a mandatory meeting.
    It is the catalyst pushing me towards full retirement as soon as I hit Medicare age. I am just hanging on for the insurance now. But for this Christmas season, I will just cook locally with my sons. I usually cook everyone their own Cornish hen with wild rice for Christmas. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you are missing your trip! I hope you get another chance soon to visit everyone. Sometimes it takes junky stuff like this to encourage us on the work front (to retire, quit, etc). Your Christmas dinner sounds fabulous!!

      Delete
  4. We scaled back several years ago and never went back and it has served us well. I probably have about half of my shopping done at this point and should finish the first week or December or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traditions are awesome. I am so glad, however, that us Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October. You must be so rushed into the Christmas season.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete