Saturday, November 18, 2023

Saturday Happenings

 It's a very, very wet Saturday here. We always need the rain, so that's a win. I watched Nick's first varsity soccer match yesterday, and we were both soaked. Varsity plays at 7 pm, so we have a lot of "late" nights this season. I'm a total early bird, and usually in bed reading by 9. :-) Nick did get to start (several players are ineligible for another week or so, as they are still playing club soccer), which was exciting for his first outing. They played well, but lost 2-3. 

After that, I took him to Chick Fil A, where I managed to avoid eating anything myself. He had only had breakfast, so powered down a milkshake & 12 piece chicken. Ahhh, to be a teen boy! 

In college updates, Sam got in to one of his top three schools (in Washington), and is thrilled. It's also where my 18 year old nephew goes to school, and is a train ride from my parents house. I think he's unlikely to get a scholarship to this school, so we are estimating cost based on the full tuition. We are still waiting to hear on his top choice school, but that is very much a reach, so we shall see. We are likely still to do the tour of the school where he got the scholarship, so we can at least vet that out as well. I made travel plans for January to tour, as that's when he has an upcoming three day weekend, when students will be in session.

What else is happening today:

  • Meeting a friend for either a hike or brunch. We always do a hike, but the weather is terrible, and our schedules are very, very difficult to coordinate. If it rains, we'll do brunch. If that happens, I'll run on the treadmill, to get in a workout.
  • Go to the store & CVS. I have a few expiring CVS coupons I'd like to use, and I want to pick up a few things at the store that are inexpensive for Thanksgiving.
  • Laundry
  • List 10 items on eBay
  • Clean up old eBay listings, donate a bunch of stuff
  • Clean out my hall closet
  • List 10 items on BN
  • Finalize Thanksgiving menu
  • Make a menu plan for the week
  • Get Christmas ideas for the boys
  • Plan the schedule for next week
  • Make a soup. Haven't figured out which recipe I want to use, but soup sounds amazing. 
What about you? What are you up to today?

5 comments:

  1. Just finishing up a few things project wise. Hope to get my entire project/goal list completed this month. The weather was beautiful so I managed two walks today.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I just wanted to share one of the best pieces of advice I received before my two boys went to college. Starting in January, as you replace toiletries for you boys, buy two. While it is a minimal hit to the weekly budget, it means you won't have a huge bill as you are moving in. Also, start researching what kiddos should take to school and buying that stuff now. For both of our boys, they received small tool kits in their stockings the Christmas their senior year of high school. (Definitely used and a huge ice-breaker. My oldest met the boy he roomed with sophomore, junior and senior year when he stopped at the door looking for a screwdriver.) They also received small sewing kits and a padlock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great ideas!! Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Sam, how neat! I hope he hears from his top choice soon.

    ReplyDelete